Opening a coffee shop! (Hold up, I'm not an idiot)

SpencermKing

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
The title is due the fact that I AM SURE you see this post a million times.
There is probably no way that I can convince you that I am actually going through with this, although I am.
A person who I am going into business with owns and succesfully runs two pizza places. I trust his sense of business. I know that coffeee is much different than pizza. However he knows how to run a restaurant-esque business.

What I am looking for is someone who would actually be willing to kind of donate their time to kind of mentor/teach on how to up and start a shop.

The idea for my shop I would say is fairly innovative especially for the area where I am considering starting it.

I am looking for a list of equipment needed minimum in contrast to ideal.

If anyone can help me out with any of these, you will be highly praised in my book.

Also I have an investor who is already on board to work with me this is why I am kind of going through the logistics and crunching the numbers.

Last edited:

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to CF

you are right, there are a lot of posts like this. From what I've seen most users stop posting after a week and nothing materializes.
Asking for equipment advice without stating goals or location is kind of irrelevant.

I might say Fetco brewers are soo cool and HOT
While those upscale folks in SLC might ask "what is a brewer? we single pour every cup"

Does that make sense?
Please share your innovative ideas, menu, and what your core product will be (what are you going to be known for) and I'm sure some people will chime in with some good advice or at least offer to supply you beans

:)

SpencermKing

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Thank You for the welcome.

Well I am strictly wanting to sell gourmet organic product, coffee and teas, but the part where this kind of becomes innovative, that I didn't necessarily want to expose, was that the shop will be a not for profit shop based around forming community amongst the downtown area of our little town. (roughly about 30,000 people) There really is hardly any culture in our town. Also Faith Based but I dont want that to overtly control the shops atmospere I want it more to shine through the people.

I kind of have a model for the shop but I am also very new to the business of gourmet coffee and have a limited amount of knowledge but am slowly obtaining more and more. If you kknow of any good websites that could also help me. I would really like someone to kind of guide me through the setup process. Maybe through phone conversations, email, or possibly skype.

SpencermKing

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
When you are shopping for an organic and fair trade supplier, please contact me for great wholesale pricing. 100% organic and fair trade.

Absolutely, Could we go ahead and talk prices so I can compare and contrast to others?

Would anyone like to be my coffee shop mentor?

kifucoffeeroaster

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
As far as sourcing your beans, look for a local roaster!

If you don't have one, or the one in your area doesn't have a good product, check us out. We have both FTO and coffees that come from a more direct trade model. Prices are all on the website. Just call or email if you would like to talk more about possibilities. Contact info is also on the site.

Good luck to you!

KCR

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Didnt I say I have investors?

You did say you have investors. What this shows is you haven't fully utilized the search option on the site. I must have read and reread that thread 4-6 times. Tophie2 I appreciate all of your posts, that is what inspired me to do the same.

Read the real ups and downs of a coffee shop here

Edit: I'm working on answering your questions. Will probably have a response in the next couple days. I've used up all my google searches for today, I should get more tomorrow

Last edited:

SpencermKing

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
You did say you have investors. What this shows is you haven't fully utilized the search option on the site. I must have read and reread that thread 4-6 times. Tophie2 I appreciate all of your posts, that is what inspired me to do the same.

Read the real ups and downs of a coffee shop here

Edit: I'm working on answering your questions. Will probably have a response in the next couple days. I've used up all my google searches for today, I should get more tomorrow

I'm sorry which thread? "have lots of money thread"? Actually I have been searching this site a lot. And it has helped me out in some areas. I posted these questions because it was the lack of what I found. Although I searched the site: I could not find anything really in depth on these questions.

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry which thread? "have lots of money thread"? Actually I have been searching this site a lot. And it has helped me out in some areas. I posted these questions because it was the lack of what I found. Although I searched the site: I could not find anything really in depth on these questions.
Opps miss on my part, was supposed to have link there. On road still will post later

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
I am familiar with someone who owned and operated a number of Wendy's franchises. He then got into the coffee business and was astounded at how different it was. Lucky for him he had too much money to fail.

Mr Shave

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I am strictly wanting to sell gourmet organic product, coffee and teas.
There are a lot of great shops out there that do this really well. Take a road trip and visit as many as you can. There are a few main responses to the gourmet mantra.
1. Is the small town ready to embrace gourmet coffee (both from a flavor aspect as well as price point)?
My point is that people are creatures of habbit and it takes time to educate them. People are also very reluctent to change, if someone likes Foldgers they like Foldgers and that will be your challenge.

2. Organic & Fair Trade, are things I personally value, but will your customers? Will they see the added value and be willing to pay the premium? Organic and & Fair Trade are very important equally is staying in business. I'm not saying both can't be done, just my thoughts.

3. Know your concept and stick to it. That is great you have an idea of what you want to do, is there a market for Itallian sodas, Fraps, or other drinks or are you just not willing to go down that dark road?

the part where this kind of becomes innovative, that I didn't necessarily want to expose, was that the shop will be a not for profit shop based around forming community amongst the downtown area of our little town. (roughly about 30,000 people) Also Faith Based but I dont want that to overtly control the shops atmospere I want it more to shine through the people.

The more openly you talk about your idea, the better feedback you wil get from people that have gone down that path. I don't have any experience. Or experience with what youa re thinking of doing but have seen a handful of Chrisitan coffee shops online, call them up and pick their brain about challenges and success. I promise I won't steal your idea for a nonprofit coffee shop ;)

If you know of any good websites that could also help me.

Info
Guide - looking for link
Good read bad news
Christian coffee shop thread
Bad news bears thread
Coffee Geek
Home Barista
Fresh Cup
Barista Exchange
SC

I would really like someone to kind of guide me through the setup process.
Right now it sounds you are still in the concept phase. First thing to do is do more research and get a business plan together. Then look for advice and feedback on your plan. If you are looking for someone to hold your hand through the entire process, a coffee shop consulting company might be a better fit.

Let me know when you have a chance to look over links. Let me / us know if you have any more questions

SixAMBuzz

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I was reading an article recently (I wish I could find it!) about a failing book store. The owner started a blog and networked and now runs three locations.
I've never run a business myself, but it seems like the saying "location is everything" has turned into "online networking is everything".

I'm dreaming of starting a coffee shop some day!

Last edited:

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
I've posted this before, but it still needs said. A little perspective and a little sage advice. After a little over seven years here are my thoughts:

First rule: Only talk to people who are successful at what they do, whether you want to be a writer, a television host, a chef, or a coffee shop owner. Business, and this business in particular, is not for everyone. I define success as having a profitable, quality operation regardless of your environment.​
Those who have failed, have nothing to offer you, except how NOT to do it.

There isn't any luck involved, per se, but those who are prepared will be exposed to more opportunities than most. Those who are ill-prepared will fail. "Bad Luck" just means, "wasn't prepared".

No one is going to mentor you for free, if you want a consultant, there are several members who would probably offer their services. If you aren't willing to pay towards the potential success of your business, in time or in money, you really aren't cut out for business. It has failure written all over it. One way or another, you have to do the work. Nobody, and I mean nobody gives a damn whether you fail or not except for you. So take it seriously.

Re: Equipment: Don't skimp on equipment. Equipment and coffee should be bought based on quality, not on price. When opening a shop the difference in performance between a $9000 3 group and a $15000 3 group is vast, but in terms of cost it's nickels and dimes. The same goes double for grinders.

There are no shortcuts.

Take the time to learn about coffee and espresso, AND business basics first. You have to hit the ground running, no baby steps or it will kill you. Don't romanticize owning a shop. You need to know you are better than the best available shop in your area BEFORE you open. And if you are more aggressive, travel, take the time to visit the best coffee shops in the US, Canada, or overseas, and pay careful attention to everything that's going on. (This is what we did, and it paid huge dividends)

The more you prepare ahead of time in terms of bean/roaster selection, proper equipment, proper brewing techniques, mastering grind, dosing, temperature, tamp, brew pressure, etc. as well as understanding proper design for efficiency, minimizing waste, customer education and customer service, pricing...the better off you will be. To be honest, if you don't have a clear,and I mean precise understanding of everything above PLUS, in this market, you will not fare well.

Customers consistently mark "Quality" as being the number one reason they return to a coffee shop -- especially NOW when that is what will separate you from everyone else. But if that's not what you're about, I would wait, or do another business...customers spot the truth of your core, you can't fake it, so either you put the coffee/espresso first and foremost, or you will suffer the consequences of the many Starbucks style copycats that have come and gone by the hundreds in recent years.

** Don't expect everything all at once. Lots of employees, big paycheck for yourself, overseeing everything. Many new owners want too much too fast and end up in ruins. Plan long term strategy, for a 20 to 30 year run. This should be a long term project. Look at the ENTIRE picture and see how to manage debt, growth, etc throughout the life cycle of the business. Invest in your business as much as you can in the beginning so you can take time working ON your business as more and more time goes by. Take your time and do it right.

Prepare well. Love what you do.

And make daily improvement a ritual, not a goal.

Last edited: