opening a coffee shop

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
CC: I was quoting prices for a simple coffee shop. While there might not be a maximum price, the local grease trap authority said we'd need a minimum of 1000 gal grease interceptor for a small cafe with seating for 16 just because of the espresso machine. In the scenario I laid out, $30,000 is in line with the quotes we have received from licensed plumbers in this area.

EFK

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
i was thinking of going to a famous coffee shop in the city(manhattan) and buy a coffee and talk to the manager and/or boss. my business partner really likes my idea. i just need to bring it all together. hopefully things work out. and hopefully i can pull some strings with people so i can bargain prices but other than that i am good i guess. im still thinking of the location because there is a quite a few places i can open a kosher coffee shop but i need to loook if there is any space openings and such. ill get back to you guys as i progress. you guys have a big help thanks a lot. also my friend have a question which is off the topic but he wants to know how much an 8day old kid(baby lamb) would cost on the market. 100bux i guess now? considering it has like 20lbs of meat on it and maybe meat goes for like 5bux a lb so its 20 by 5=100bux. what do you guys think. if you know any meat vendors out their or what their prices are please let me know. ty

EFK

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
sup guys im back with news. i went to a few coffee/espresso bars. and my investor is really siked bout my plans. i am currently in the need for a good local nyc coffee bean supplier and a barista. what coffee beans are the best for italian style coffee shop and what is a good price i should argue/bargain for with the supplier? also what exactly is a grease interceptor and why is it a need for a coffee shop? and last question is which type of coffee shop does best in business 1) buy a coffee and walk out 2) have my store filled with tables and chairs for customers to sit and chat 3) a bit of both as in less tables and chairs but still enough to accomadate a few customers than in #2 such as in starbucks?

also if you guys have any good machinery so suggest for me that would be fine too.
thanks EFK

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "EFK"

Only a couple of months have passed since you started this thread in June. Where are you in the whole process of setting up your coffee bar? Do you have a location yet?

I'm guessing that if you need to ask what a grease interceptor is, and why you're required to have one in a coffee shop, you haven't gotten into that part of your research process yet. Any food item being served (including the milk products for the coffee drinks and bakery items) may add greasy particles to the waste water system, and that's why the grease interceptor/trap is required by most Health Departments. Once you settle on a location and explore all of the local ordinances, you'll get a better idea about what you need.

Here is a link to a website that explains a little about the grease traps
Grease Trap Sizing Guide - Guides & Suggestions - Food Service Help

Rose

EFK

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Ahh thank for the heads up. My partner is looking for a location not me it's his job. My main goal right now is to get a knowledgable barista that can tell me on a day to day bases of what products we née and if a certain product is not selling well. How much does a barista make? My second concern is to find out which coffee supplier I am going to be using and I their beans are good quality so that I know where I stand regarding the price I should charge for a cup of coffee. How much is a good cup of coffee? 1.50 seems to cheap I know 2.50 is something should be considering. What do you guys think?

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello EFK;
After reading your posts I am concerned that not enough thought has gone into your process. It is good to get excited about opening a coffee shop but I think you have jumped the gun. Have you done a business plan? From your questions it is clear that you have not. The main problem for businesses failing is the failure to plan. Just having unlimited pockets does not ensure a sucessful business. How much capital do you have? $100,000, $250,000 $500,000? How can your partner be looking for a location when you don't even know the style of coffee shop you want to do and you have not even researched the retail price of a coffee in the area where you want to open? You MUST do a better job of a business plan ie)know your costs and potential profits before you run and do alot of things that will be wasting yours and others time. Sorry to be blunt and discouraging but you are still quite aways from opening a shop.
Brian

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Ahh thank for the heads up. My partner is looking for a location not me it's his job. My main goal right now is to get a knowledgable barista that can tell me on a day to day bases of what products we née and if a certain product is not selling well. How much does a barista make? My second concern is to find out which coffee supplier I am going to be using and I their beans are good quality so that I know where I stand regarding the price I should charge for a cup of coffee. How much is a good cup of coffee? 1.50 seems to cheap I know 2.50 is something should be considering. What do you guys think?

In another thread, EFK wrote: I would like to acquire some information from the member that is from Brooklyn. I too am from Brooklyn and I am trying to open up a coffee/espresso shop. It is going to be for the jewish population of my area of Brooklyn and I am in desperate need of some advice on how to approach this sort of situation. My neighborhood has never had a real coffee shop, just the corner store type coffees from the machines like Folgers or something. Therefore I am looking for a good local supplier of some awesome beans to suit my Italian style coffee shop. It is still in the process of being brain stormed so it can be changed to any theme styled store or no style at all. I really am hoping to get a sort of kosher Startbucks type feeling for my store so that even the common person can feel someone of class. Anyone got any thoughts or ideas? They are really welcomed and appreciated. thank you for your time. EFK

EFK.....so are you planning to locate in the Brooklyn area? We recently had a discussion on this Coffee Forum regarding the rate to pay a barista. Between $10 and $12 - plus tips was the going rate for an average employee who would have some responsibility, similar to what you described. However, the pay rate may be more in the Brooklyn area. Perhaps you could re-visit the local shops and ask the owners what they pay their baristas.

You may want to consider posting a separate message on this forum regarding your search for a coffee supplier. You'll get more responses that way.

Also, when you visited the coffee shops, did you notice what they were charging for a cup of coffee? It sounds like you have a lot more research to do as you move ahead with this project!

Rose

EFK

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
yea the coffee shop i went to was el beit in williamsburg, brooklyn and i bought a coffee there. it was costa rican coffee for 5bux and thats insance prices which no one will go for in my area. i personally want to follow in the footsteps of Zibetto Menu they have a nice short and very good priced menu especially for manhattan. if i can make charge these prices of even smaller it was would be great. i think 10-12 is a good price for a barista that is what i was going for as well. i need to find the prices of beans and the exact beans this guy is using. they seem pretty cheap if he is charging in manhattan 2 50 3 50 a coffee. i also need some good ideas for some treats to sell with the coffee and maybe i should coffee tea as well for those who go on dates and dont like coffee. i was thinking of coffee ice cream? :p I am not jumping the gun just yet because i didnt buy my place lol i my partner is just eyeing out spots in the neighborhood to open up because my neighborhood is packed and there isnt a lot of places left open in which will put me in the center of attention. i am going to most likely visit this zebetto place in the city this week, they seem to exclusive or something because they dont even have a telephone number to contact them just an email. i would like all feedback and suggestions im not getting offended at all. this is a learning experience and i want my business to be as good as it can be. ty

EFK

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
anyone know where i can find an experienced barista? that is my main goal now besides finding a place to start my business.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello EFK;
One place you might try is your local coffee roaster/distributor. Alot of times the salespeople hear about disgruntled employees that are looking for a change. You might also want to talk to some baristas in your area where you plan to open that might know someone who is looking. Make sure that the people you interview know what they are doing. Another way to get great baristas is to offer a percentage of sales/profit to them if they come on board. If they are great they will be hard to find and hire. You sound like you will need not only a barista but a barista/manager. Good luck
Brian

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
EFK,

I have to echo what CanadianBrian wrote earlier.

You are at the very least one year away from even considering opening a shop.

Take time to learn about business. Take time to learn about the coffee business. Attend all the various classes at CoffeeFest (there's one upcoming in Seattle in October) and the SCAA event. If your business is viable there will be a place for it 12 to 18 months from now. Right now, you are rushing to fail. Take your time and prepare to succeed.

NovelTeas

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I think its a great idea! I am just closing my shop, but not because it was not successful. I am moving. I was located about 45 minutes outside the city in Red Bank, NJ. I would be happy to talk with you about what worked and did not work. Also, I am in the process of selling the contents if you are interested in any items - UNIC TWIN RUMBA ESPRESSO MACHINE, DECOR, LIGHTING & more...
(732) 300-7510 is my best contact. Thanks!