Opening New Coffee Shop - Need Equipment Advice

Cappiandcolor

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
I am in the planning stages for opening up a coffee shop close to our towns local university. My target market is students, faculty, and staff of the college along with other members in the community. Our town is approximately 21,000 with students and about 14,000 without.
Our goal is to serve espresso based drinks alongside drip coffee. With that being said, what espresso machine, espresso grinder, drip coffee brewer, and coffee grinder would you personally recommend and why? I'm open to hearing everyone's likes and dislikes of their equipment.
Much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I am in the planning stages for opening up a coffee shop close to our towns local university. My target market is students, faculty, and staff of the college along with other members in the community. Our town is approximately 21,000 with students and about 14,000 without.
Our goal is to serve espresso based drinks alongside drip coffee. With that being said, what espresso machine, espresso grinder, drip coffee brewer, and coffee grinder would you personally recommend and why? I'm open to hearing everyone's likes and dislikes of their equipment.
Much appreciated!

Hello Cappiandcolor

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website. You will find a lot of useful information here.

You have asked for recommendations for several kinds of machines. We have many topic areas where our members have discussed their recommendations for all sorts of equipment. Please feel free to use the Search box that's at the top right corner of your screen. After you type your search item, it will direct you to the discussion threads that are already in progress.

If you have specific questions about the machines, it is best to post them separately so our members can respond to one question at a time.

Rose

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Cappiandcolor,

These are things you should know for yourself, and when you narrow it down to two or three specific pieces of equipment, you can ask our input at that time.

You should have enough knowledge and information to know whether or not the information we give and/or knowledge we claim to have is valid at all.

But to be short.
1) You get what you pay for (minus $$ for style)
2) You are only as good as your ingredients
3) It all comes down to quality of roast and skill of barista. It isn't rocket science, but it is science.
4) love what you do.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Espresso purchase? Depends on your budget. 3500 to 20K. Fetco Brewers are the top of the line and Curtis also has some great Brewers. I am a die hard Mahlkonig grinder fan for espresso and coffee. But it will all depend on the budget
if you post a budget you might get some better ideas. Can you spend 5 or 6 K for a couple of grinder? Fetco dual will average 2500. Lot of great espresso machines but if your town inspectors require UL listed or ETL then your choices will be limited.

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
Cappiandcolor,

1) You get what you pay for (minus $$ for style)
2) You are only as good as your ingredients
3) It all comes down to quality of roast and skill of barista. It isn't rocket science, but it is science.
4) love what you do.

I could not have said it better my self!