Ovens, Stoves, Vents oh My!

BCCafe

Sep 8, 2014
New York
Visit site
Hello Everyone--
I am opening a small cafe in a rural county in Upstate New York; max occupancy 4o persons; in November and planning out the logistics. I have a background as an assistant chef ect but the initial planning for the baking set up for the shop has raised many questions...

Most of my pastries will be contracted from local artists but to enhance my net gross and of course my sense of fun I would like to be able to make some of my own from scratch baked goods... Here's some of the baking related skills I have AND enjoy: pies, cream puffs, basic cakes, muffins, and popovers. Also would like to offer quiches, our own chocolate sauces, and scones of course.

I would like to purchase a small commercial stove/oven and vent set up but am worried about the costs as what I would like (small home-size stove) will day after such use and of course local code enforcement. However our prospective location does not have a direct exterior wall! Someone has suggested a counter top electric convection oven might be the way to go since so much of our product is baked goods and a majority of items will be from other sources. It's been years since I worked with such an oven and am wondering is it worth it? Our projections suggest we could hire an engineer in 2 years to design the full scale set up but after years in the kitchen I don't want to deal with commercial grade vent hoods of 6-8 burner stoves AND cleaning the darn things. My motto is KISS-- keep it simple stupid. I'm inclined to just say scrape the baking but I know from my experience that when you initially go in for a coffee/tea and then smell apple pie, muffins, or chocolate cake baking most people can't help themselves!!!!

If you have had the same or similar debate could you please offer any advice? In terms of codes-- our enforcer said that all the building/safety codes apply even though I won't have fryers or a 8 burner stove set up-- I still need to hire an engineer to design the set up ect... But as I said the location does not have exterior wall access except the front windows/doors which are historic. ....... Lots more questions but this is long enough! ;-)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I wonder if the convection ovens are similar in baking quality....

There are a couple of things that you'll need to adjust if you use a convection oven. The temperature should be set at 25 degrees less than it would be for a regular oven, and things will bake faster, so you need to make an adjustment in time. The instructions that come with the convection oven will explain how it works. There is a fan on the inside of the oven that circulates the hot air, which keeps the temperature inside the oven even, and things bake faster and more evenly than they do in a regular oven.

I worked in a cafe that had a convection oven, and they baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies (the cookie dough was frozen) every couple of hours, mainly to have the smell of freshly baked cookies in the air. The idea was to entice people to either buy some cookies or buy some of the other baked items that were delivered from a local bakery. Eventually, the cafe owner and the staff were too busy to do any baking, and the convection oven sat idle for most of the time.

Doing your own baking may seem like a good idea now, but you probably won't have the time or energy to manage the cafe and do the baking too.

It's something to think about....

Rose

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Electric convection does not need venting. Gas, whether it be propane or natural does. I am looking at installing a electric convection oven just so I don't have to deal with vents. The small table top units are not that reliable as far as constant temp. I am talking home/commercial units. A real commercial unit is the way to go for stability. If youcan find a used Blodgett, they are top of the line and still made in the USA.

BCCafe

Sep 8, 2014
New York
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I spent an hour or so this morning at a restaurant supply looking at the options. Then I received a call from my local zoning officer-- if I go with a electric stove I won't need the expensive external vents and spray systems as long as I am not into the heavy and greasy cooking ie restaurant. after 15 years in commercial kitchens I am certainly NOT! What i like about the convection ovens is their size and speed but now I have this advice to work with I will keep researching the differences! Thank you so much for the input!