Packaging? Where do you buy your bags?

Thor

Jan 26, 2022
Visit site
I have a number of questions about packaging--

Where did you source your bags?
How many ounces of coffee per bag? I've seen as little as 12 oz or a full pound.

There seems to be a trade off too when it comes to printed artwork on bags for branding versus the effort to keep things simple and inexpensive by placing labels on plain bags. Thoughts?

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
I now buy direct from the factory in China printed bags. I much prefer this over the previous blank bag i had. Looks more professional and with only one small label instead of two big colors labels it is also cheaper overall. Drawback is you need to order 10K at a time!
B9DB4134-85C1-412C-A277-A86DA757D2A6.jpeg

Thor

Jan 26, 2022
Visit site
I now buy direct from the factory in China printed bags. I much prefer this over the previous blank bag i had. Looks more professional and with only one small label instead of two big colors labels it is also cheaper overall. Drawback is you need to order 10K at a time!View attachment 11284

Those look great! -Thanks for the reply. Yikes- 10k at a time might be too ambitious for my little start-up side gig.

I do like those though- great job. I suppose volume-based orders like that keep the cost per bag down accordingly. Do you mind sharing how much you are paying? Those look really high-end..... is that a re-sealable top?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I use stock bags and print a label in-house on my label printer. I offer 12 oz / 2lb / 5lb bags... as you can see the minimums for custom bags is high. Usually, 5-6K is minimum unless you are using a digital printer like Roastar. With Roastar you get great custom bags starting at 1K units but the price is $$$

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Something to think about... since this is a 'side gig'. Are you going to wholesale? If so, you need an FDA-registered facility, cottage laws do not allow wholesale. That will change your packaging needs decision.

Thor

Jan 26, 2022
Visit site
Something to think about... since this is a 'side gig'. Are you going to wholesale? If so, you need an FDA-registered facility, cottage laws do not allow wholesale. That will change your packaging needs decision.

What constitutes "wholesaling?" Sales to resellers? (as opposed to retail to end users only)?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have a question but it isn't about retail bags. I am looking for flat silver pouches that hold 8 oz and has a valve. We use them for in house coffee...tear and toss. I use about 10k every 3 weeks. The price jumped up from my current supplier about 25%. I think its time I buy a years supply from China. Any idea how to find a company?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I have a question but it isn't about retail bags. I am looking for flat silver pouches that hold 8 oz and has a valve. We use them for in house coffee...tear and toss. I use about 10k every 3 weeks. The price jumped up from my current supplier about 25%. I think its time I buy a years supply from China. Any idea how to find a company?
No Chinese supplier... but you may want to give these guys a call. Working on a project requiring new flexible packaging - they were very competitive but had no idea how they match up to a offshore provider.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Thanks bud! I just spoke with them. They can't help with the in house but we are talking retail now. Stoked because they have a location in Miami. Still looking for back of the house bags. In house bags are attached below.
20220201_100237.jpg
20220201_100250.jpg
20220201_100256.jpg
20220201_100324.jpg

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
Send me a PM and i can put you in contact directly with my supplier in China, they are a large manufacturer and do any type of bags but they are doing great quality, not the usual cheap stuff so that also mean you pay more. And their service is top.

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
Those look great! -Thanks for the reply. Yikes- 10k at a time might be too ambitious for my little start-up side gig.

I do like those though- great job. I suppose volume-based orders like that keep the cost per bag down accordingly. Do you mind sharing how much you are paying? Those look really high-end..... is that a re-sealable top?
This is the most expensive type of all coffee bags so yes i pay more. But it’s top quality materials, valve, zip at the top, flat brick style bottom. I love them but for a 340g/12oz bag it’s about $0,27usd per bag printed. Plus shipping, bigger size are more expensive of course.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Thanks bud! I just spoke with them. They can't help with the in house but we are talking retail now. Stoked because they have a location in Miami. Still looking for back of the house bags. In house bags are attached below.

Bummer... surprised they can't do single-walled foil. They just opened a location in my backyard as well which is how I engaged them. I'm going to IM you my contact at PBFY... she may be able to help. I know the bags I get from them are sourced from Taiwan

Simon99

Feb 2, 2022
China
Visit site

5000Pieces/ deisgn for this forums members if anyone interested . Yup, i am the bag supplier what seb mentioned above. :)thank you Sebastien!;) -- So i registered and talk with you guys directly . Raw material increase crazy in 2021. You may cannot save much in bags. but i guarantee the good quality for sure! not only bags, but also other stuff you need to buy and we will help you without any porfit. This is our service!

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
I think the 3 primary sources of bags are China, Taiwan and India. I have been quoted by domestic Canadian and US producers. Canadian prices are crazy. US prices are more competitive but don't touch the Asian prices. That may have changed due to shipping costs.

I recently received printed film from China....................only waited 6 months for delivery...then again, it didn't matter with all the covid lockdowns, but if I were in a hurry, it would have been an issue