Packaging? Where do you buy your bags?

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
All right Simon. Lets take this one step further.

Your prices are good. What about freight costs ? I mean the last mile is always the most expensive.

My experience is that there will be layers of cost
1. Cost China to destination port
2. Port charges if any
3. Customs (inspection), warehouse charges and duties
4. Freight from port/warehouse to final destination.

How do you handle the first and does it include the second ?
Lets start with China port to Toronto, Canada

Simon99

Feb 2, 2022
China
Visit site
All right Simon. Lets take this one step further.

Your prices are good. What about freight costs ? I mean the last mile is always the most expensive.

My experience is that there will be layers of cost
1. Cost China to destination port
2. Port charges if any
3. Customs (inspection), warehouse charges and duties
4. Freight from port/warehouse to final destination.

How do you handle the first and does it include the second ?
Lets start with China port to Toronto, Canada
1. Inland charge from our factory to CN port( we pay)
2. CN Port related charge Fee (We pay)
3.Sea shipping charge CN-CA by the cubic meter( You pay before we ship)
4. import tax(you pay, but we can reduce the unit price for custom paperwork on purpose )
5. shipping Fee from Destination Port Toronto to your place (you pay)

You must have Import and export qualifications, otherwise, you need to find an agent.
The bag and shipping fee, all your payments are worth it

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
4. import tax(you pay, but we can reduce the unit price for custom paperwork on purpose )

You must have Import and export qualifications, otherwise, you need to find an agent.
Yes we have import qualifications, however a customs broker is better for the minefield that is customs clearance. Can you give me the product classification so I can look up the customs taxes and duties..........just want to make an accurate price comparison.

Thor

Jan 26, 2022
Visit site

This is my first time buying bags and I'm probably not prepared to navigate all of this. Are you able to make the connections (to an agent, and for these 'import/export qualifications) ?

I just want to be able to submit my design, have the bags printed and sent to me..... It seems that there is more involved. (?)

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
A customs broker can handle clearance and arrange freight to your facility.
If the producer is willing to pay to port such as Los Angeles, a customs broker should be able to arrange customs clearance and freight.

Not sure how it is in US but I believe it is similar to here in Canada that you need to have an import # or classification. Here, a broker may charge anywhere from $75 to $150 depending on what they have to do. They will likely arrange freight to your place too. All of this needs to be dealt with one way or another..............it is a matter of how much you have/want to do versus how much you save

Thor

Jan 26, 2022
Visit site
A customs broker can handle clearance and arrange freight to your facility.
If the producer is willing to pay to port such as Los Angeles, a customs broker should be able to arrange customs clearance and freight.

Not sure how it is in US but I believe it is similar to here in Canada that you need to have an import # or classification. Here, a broker may charge anywhere from $75 to $150 depending on what they have to do. They will likely arrange freight to your place too. All of this needs to be dealt with one way or another..............it is a matter of how much you have/want to do versus how much you save

Thank you-- I really appreciate the info. I'm new to this... a true newbie, but don't want to be naive.

In my perfect world it would be-- design, approve design, receive a sample, approve of sample.... click quantity (5000-if that is minimum order) pay for shipping (and fees) and receive my order. I'm hoping @Simon99 can make these necessary arrangements to clear customs hoop jumping -otherwise I'm inclined to source locally from a US supplier.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Thank you-- I really appreciate the info. I'm new to this... a true newbie, but don't want to be naive.

In my perfect world it would be-- design, approve design, receive a sample, approve of sample.... click quantity (5000-if that is minimum order) pay for shipping (and fees) and receive my order. I'm hoping @Simon99 can make these necessary arrangements to clear customs hoop jumping -otherwise I'm inclined to source locally from a US supplier.
My experience has been, most times it all looks great until you get pricing for that last mile of freight. If you were to go that route, I would get pricing for delivery to the nearest port and then get pricing from a customs broker for brokerage (their fees and taxes on the product) and freight to your facility.

I would also check spelling very very thoroughly on the sample. unfortunately....freight for the sample will run about $120 - $140 (my experience)

Simon99

Feb 2, 2022
China
Visit site
Yes we have import qualifications, however a customs broker is better for the minefield that is customs clearance. Can you give me the product classification so I can look up the customs taxes and duties..........just want to make an accurate price comparison.
HS code for plastic bags? 3923210000.

Simon99

Feb 2, 2022
China
Visit site
This is my first time buying bags and I'm probably not prepared to navigate all of this. Are you able to make the connections (to an agent, and for these 'import/export qualifications) ?

I just want to be able to submit my design, have the bags printed and sent to me..... It seems that there is more involved. (?)
Yeap, you need to find an agent to arrange everything for your import if you do not have 'import/export qualifications. it is not complicated. and I am sure it does not cost you much. all these related charges are acceptable.

submit the design, get quotes, payment, have the bags printed, shipping, get the bags. all these paperwork issues you need to find a company. We have exported bags to the USA bag brokers since 2006. No worries Dude.

79adb6da80e2c37e661550cc4b2811d.png

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
Just to give you a real world experience, here are all my fees to import my bags to Montreal/Canada around fall of 2021. I have my own commercial broker as i import frequently with an other business:

Bags 340g: $0,265usd ($0,34cad)
Bags 907g: $0,39usd ($0,51cad)
Bags 5lbs: $0,51usd ($0,66cad)
Sea Shipping for 18 450 bags: $1300usd ($0,07usd/bag to add)
Plates fees for design (one time purchase only): $2363usd total
Bank charge: $35usd
Next fees are in $CAD and are related to the importation to Canada
Binex in Canada: $370cad
MCT Montreal: $115cad
Broker= $1242,58cad
Local shipping: $100cad
Total of all extra fees= $6450cad which mean $0,35/bag in $CAD to add in average per bag

That mean that my original bag pricing above at $0,265usd ($0,34CAD) get to $0,68 CAD with all included fees for the 340g, $0,86cad for the 907g and $1,01 for the 5lbs bag. But take note that when i had my shipping, the shipping fees from China where over the roof!! Much higher than usual and also that i had to pay the plates fees for my design. Next order i won’t have to pay for the plate if i don’t change my design and the shipping will be cheaper. Also all the taxes i had to pay with my broker fees i get a refund of theses so my real cost is a bit lower than thoses numbers above.

In conclusion i did not pay less for my bags than my previous Canadian supplier (still made overseas) but i get custom bags of very high quality with my own design and i save on the labels now. I save in fact $0,20cad per bag because i do not need the previous colors labels (2 labels per bag at $0,10ea) and i also save the time to apply them and all comments i get from customers is that my new bags look much better so i think it will also drive more sales which has to be considered.

Don’t hesitate to ask me any question about the importation process to Canada if you need more info.

Thor

Jan 26, 2022
Visit site
Just to give you a real world experience, here are all my fees to import my bags to Montreal/Canada around fall of 2021. I have my own commercial broker as i import frequently with an other business:

Bags 340g: $0,265usd ($0,34cad)
Bags 907g: $0,39usd ($0,51cad)
Bags 5lbs: $0,51usd ($0,66cad)
Sea Shipping for 18 450 bags: $1300usd ($0,07usd/bag to add)
Plates fees for design (one time purchase only): $2363usd total
Bank charge: $35usd
Next fees are in $CAD and are related to the importation to Canada
Binex in Canada: $370cad
MCT Montreal: $115cad
Broker= $1242,58cad
Local shipping: $100cad
Total of all extra fees= $6450cad which mean $0,35/bag in $CAD to add in average per bag

That mean that my original bag pricing above at $0,265usd ($0,34CAD) get to $0,68 CAD with all included fees for the 340g, $0,86cad for the 907g and $1,01 for the 5lbs bag. But take note that when i had my shipping, the shipping fees from China where over the roof!! Much higher than usual and also that i had to pay the plates fees for my design. Next order i won’t have to pay for the plate if i don’t change my design and the shipping will be cheaper. Also all the taxes i had to pay with my broker fees i get a refund of theses so my real cost is a bit lower than thoses numbers above.

In conclusion i did not pay less for my bags than my previous Canadian supplier (still made overseas) but i get custom bags of very high quality with my own design and i save on the labels now. I save in fact $0,20cad per bag because i do not need the previous colors labels (2 labels per bag at $0,10ea) and i also save the time to apply them and all comments i get from customers is that my new bags look much better so i think it will also drive more sales which has to be considered.

Don’t hesitate to ask me any question about the importation process to Canada if you need more info.

Very helpful. Thank you Seb.

Reactions: Seb

Ekawa

Feb 22, 2022
Sonoma,California
Visit site
5000Pieces/ deisgn for this forums members if anyone interested . Yup, i am the bag supplier what seb mentioned above. :)thank you Sebastien!;) -- So i registered and talk with you guys directly . Raw material increase crazy in 2021. You may cannot save much in bags. but i guarantee the good quality for sure! not only bags, but also other stuff you need to buy and we will help you without any porfit. This is our service!

I am interested please how can i get in contact with you. I am looking for 1lb bag and maybe 5lbs bag . Thank you

Thor

Jan 26, 2022
Visit site
This is the most expensive type of all coffee bags so yes i pay more. But it’s top quality materials, valve, zip at the top, flat brick style bottom. I love them but for a 340g/12oz bag it’s about $0,27usd per bag printed. Plus shipping, bigger size are more expensive of course.

Seb-- do you ship to the US? I would like to buy a bag of your coffee just to check out the bag for myself before I place my order.