Painting with coffee?

Greetings,
My name is Steven Mikel, and I also paint with coffee... enjoy :coffee1:

American-Metal_28x20-700W.jpg Looking-Over-Antigua_20wx28h-700W.jpg Forest-For-The-Trees_36Wx24H_650W.jpg

welcome to our forum.
your paintings are incredibly good.
do you do this professionally?

also, just curious... what kind of coffee do you use? and how do you prepare the coffee "ink"?

Thank you for your kind words...
And yes, painting with coffee is what I do, my work is in a number of fine art galleries here in the states.

I have used all kinds of coffee since 2008 when I focused all my artistic attention on using it as a painting medium.
Don't worry about being curious, I get asked those questions a lot, so I put the answers into a FAQ on my website as well as having more information about how I make the paint.

I'm not sure if I am allowed (as a new forum member) to place a URL to my website here in the reply, but I will try... if it gets removed... simply do a google search on "Steven Mikel" and there will be "tons" of links to my website, images, and goodies.

Here is the link, if it's allowed... StevenMikel(dot)com (hopefully this is okay)

Let me know what you think...

Ensoluna,

Thanks again for your kind words.

I was in Guatemala for a few weeks a number of years ago (90's, prior to the big re-paint Antigua event, lol) I took a lot of photos and have painted many, some now with coffee.

My work with Thrive Farmers has been a real blessing, and I have remaining, a couple hundred pounds of their expired coffee, a blend of directly sourced from Guatemala. They have sent me some information about a few of the farmers whose harvest was mixed in the blends that I have and we have talked about the possibility of my visiting with them to personally meet with farmers and the communities.

I would love to go back.
My best work has always been that which is attached to a connection and personal story...(I do commissions, and I strive to really connect understand the person, place or thing I am requested to use as a subject)
So, yes... I am certain I will be going back.

When you go, if you come across some interesting shots... I might be able to use them as reference in the future (with your permission of course)

Sounds like I need to check out your website as well, I'll let you know when I do.
Got to get back to painting today, however... I've spent way too much time behind my computer, I have 2 commissions that have to be completed this week.

Blessings

merkurios

Oct 28, 2020
Visit site
I have a friend who is painting using 100% real coffee. Coffee painting is similar to watercolor painting and showcases an endless variety of themes and styles. Still, she says that It's hard to get noticed as an artist when you paint using coffee. I've seen some of her works and I think that this kind of work looks absolutely gorgeous, and I would definitely buy at least a painting for my house. Guys from https://alextrendpainters.ie/ don't paint using coffee, but instead, they can paint and decorate the entire house at a valuable price which is hard to beat.

Last edited:

CafeLast

Nov 25, 2020
Visit site
Wow! These are beautiful. I have never thought of these. I wonder if it works with leftover grounds...I certainly have a lot of those. :images:

cofcof

Jan 12, 2021
Visit site
I'm not sure if I am allowed (as a new forum member) to place a URL to my website here in the reply, but I will try... if it gets removed... simply do a google search on "Steven Mikel" and there will be "tons" of links to my website, images, and goodies.

Ramiel

Jan 22, 2021
Melbourne
Visit site
I have been painting since I was a child and I have always liked to experiment in this field. It all started with coffee when at the age of 18 I got a job at a café, the barista there taught me how to paint on coffee, to be honest I was good at it. I started with something simple, and then I switched to landscapes or animals. I like to use 100% real coffee, and to get other colors I use food coloring. I also like to make sketches for drawings before making them on coffee, I'm always looking for new ideas, I even have a favorite site where you can find watercolor ideas for beginners and more. It is good to experiment, when you like something to do a lot.

Last edited:

merkurios

Oct 28, 2020
Visit site
I paint with coffee on paper, and last month I wanted to paint my bedroom walls. I hired a professional to paint them beige, and then I painted some coffee mugs on them. And they ended up sooo pretty. At first, I was thinking of painting them myself, but then I remember an incident from 2015 when I tried to do that, and it ended up bad. So I had no choice this time. I wanted them to be beautiful and without any accidents. The guy from paintingservicesingapore.sg did a great job, and I'm now very pleased with the result.

Last edited: