particular coffee makes a mess in a drip maker

scottlindner

Oct 9, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
This is bizarre and I have to ask about it where folks would know best. I've recently started roasting my coffee at home. I had the Zach & Dani's and that thing kicked the bucket after less than 4lbs of coffee. So I switched to a stove top popcorn popper. I recently finished my 10lb sack of Indonesian Sumatra and picked up a 10lb sack of Indonesian Java. I used a slightly lighter roast than i did before. Don't ask what roast level it is, I'm not smart enough to know that yet. I brought some to work and it made a mess out of the coffee maker. It's like the water didn't flow through fast enough. I figured I ground it too much, or used two filters by mistake. This morning I made two pots at home in my home drip maker and the same thing happened to both pots. Something is up, and it's related to the bean or the roast. I find this really bizarre, but does anyone have any thoughts?

Jackson

Aug 22, 2006
Columbus, OH
Visit site
It is probably one of two things! Either your grind is too fine, and the water is taking too long to flow through the grinds, making an overflow mess. Or the beans have not fully degassed. I would have to say that if it happened two consecutive days, that it is too fine of a grind. One other problem might be the amount of coffee you are using. You only need about 2 ounces of coffee per pot, unless you are in a coffee house setting. Try a course grind first and see if that solves your problem, then try the other two fixes.

scottlindner

Oct 9, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
Jackson said:
It is probably one of two things! Either your grind is too fine, and the water is taking too long to flow through the grinds, making an overflow mess. Or the beans have not fully degassed. I would have to say that if it happened two consecutive days, that it is too fine of a grind. One other problem might be the amount of coffee you are using. You only need about 2 ounces of coffee per pot, unless you are in a coffee house setting. Try a course grind first and see if that solves your problem, then try the other two fixes.

I haven't changed anything in my coffee making process. So it has to be the beans were not degassed enough. I've been making coffee using the same maker, grinder, filters, and quantites of water and beans for several years and I make 2-3 such batches each day.

How long does it take for the beans to degass so this won't be a problem any longer? I ask.. because this morning it did not happen. So I think you're on to something with the degassing thing.

Cheers,
Scott