Perculators?

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Is it commonly known that a Perc will brew strong, yet bitter coffee? My mother in law bought us a nice Perc last year and while it is strong, the coffeee always seems bitter. Coffee always seems smoother when I have it at friends or relatives with good coffee machines. Should I ditch the perc and buy a really good drip machine? We now have a grinder but still the bitterness remains no matter what.

Thanks!

-Rich

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Percs are known to over extract the coffee. There is only so much water you can dump over the grinds before you start over extracting it. Yes dump your perc and go buy a drip machine.

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks! I may have to keep the Perc for now because there are other things I need to buy before I can justify a new coffee maker. My mother in law works at Fantee's Kitchenware on the Italian market in Philly so she can get me a great discount on a coffee maker. Are there other, cheaper models that work well? My father in law has a great coffee maker but I am not sure the make or model - but his coffee tastes amazing.

Are there certain coffe blends that just work better with a Perc? Does it help to not grind the coffee as fine? What about sweeter coffees or more mild blends? I tried a French Roast and it was so bitter in the Perc. Sumatra seems to work well with the Perc though. For now I may have to stick it out with the Perc and try a coffee that works well with the Perc.

I also notice the small Braun grinder I have for home doesn't allow me to tailor the grind to my tastes as well as some of the large in store grinders.

Maldini

Feb 7, 2006
Visit site
I have a perc too and I enjoy it actually. These are the suggestions I can come up with..

make sure you use a medium to coarse grind, if you're not sure ask the person at the coffee place because not all coffees are meant for the perc.

Try adjusting the amount of coffee you put in. I only use about half the filter

Try to also season the perc (if you already havent done so), brew the coffee but leave it in the pot for about 24 hours.

Like many people here already know, the perc is still miles better than a cheap machine.

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
Now, I am starting to think the Perc makes coffee too bitter! My father in law makes great coffee with his Cuisinart brushed chrome $79 auto drip maker and I can get one for a discount...about $59 from my mother in law's store so maybe. How about French Press?