Physical difference between Arabica and Robusta

gwink

Mar 1, 2006
Visit site
Is there any distinct difference in APPEARANCE between arabica and robusta?

Is is true that robusta is generally smaller in size as compared to arabica?ie for arabica medium would be 15/16, large is 17/18. Whereas robusta medium is 9/10 and large is 11/12.

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
gwink said:
Is there any distinct difference in APPEARANCE between arabica and robusta?

Is is true that robusta is generally smaller in size as compared to arabica?ie for arabica medium would be 15/16, large is 17/18. Whereas robusta medium is 9/10 and large is 11/12.

I don't know about sizes being different. I've got an Indian Robusta Cherry I roast to blend into espresso. It looks like a big, red peaberry when compared to the other arabicas I've got. The arabica's are mostly green. The aged coffees like Monsoon Malibar and Sulawesi Aged are pale yellow.

After roasting the Indian Robusta seems lighter and less dense than the arabicas.

joaquin

Aug 19, 2005
Puerto Rico
Visit site
yes ther is a difference betwin robst. and arabic in size .

Thhere are small diferences but htere are diferences . the diference is not if theyr red or grey , they can be both the same color but the robusta is more shaped like cone ,and if you are a buyer of green coffee you have to now the diference . there is a nothere espicie that is called Exelsa . and is at the same price as the robusta , and is of low quality . depends on the rigion from where you buy youre coffee .

att youre services Joaquin

Jan 22, 2005
Visit site
In Australia where I live, the robusta bean is not popular. This is suprising to me because of the large number of immigrants who came here from Italy, Greece, Turkey and Lebanon from the late 1940s onward. I would have thought Robusta would be more popular, but it is not. Its an interesting article, thank you for sharing :D

lbrault

Jan 25, 2006
Boston MA area
Visit site
Since robusta is hardier, probably more people "abuse" the plant. But then garden-variety arabica is horrible also. It's a long way from marginal arabica to the Kona or Blue Mountain, and it's a long way from the marginal robusta to gourmet robustas as can be found in Brazil and Vietnam these days.

Culi Robusta from Trung Nguyen holds its own against my favorite arabicas. I hope that more producers realize that robusta can be optimized to be a whole different range of flavor from arabica... and see the future of blended coffees and expressos in it.

joaquin

Aug 19, 2005
Puerto Rico
Visit site
The robusta is one of the genetics basics of the Arabica , To bring up
the curiositi , to the world that would make the difference , There are good washed robustas , but the espesification on the concentration for an exelent robusta is a mistical wish . The robusta where i live is treated bad
because its price of sale for less , and the demand is for the espresso blends for the hight concentrations of cafein not for the flavor .

To have an espresso blend whith washed arabica and washed selected robusta .thats a new expirience .. To have another expirience from an other Especie of coffee thats a story to tell . I my self is interested in taste washed robusta ? any body kows ?

lbrault

Jan 25, 2006
Boston MA area
Visit site
There are places where the robusta is grown and processed for flavor, not just because it is cheaper or hardier. The robusta seems doomed in the PR battle because it can be more easily abused, but WOW there is a lot of bad arabica around as well. I just bought some prize-winning 100% arabica coffee at Trader Joe's that smelled great through the vent, was recently packed, and it was gawd-awful when brewed (it was private label, not under the Trader Joe label). I tossed the bag out. To get the taste out of my mouth I (ironically) brewed up a cup of my mainstay Culi Robusta, and then my tastebuds quit shivering.

When I introduce these premium robustas to people who have no preconceptions they pick the robusta over the House Blends of well-know expensive brands (I won't name them here because I don't like to put down other coffees and don't like it when people put down my favorites).

My point is that we don't really need to define a "superior" coffee among the several popular cultivated varieties... because this tends to narrow the whole range of flavors down that coffee lovers are "allowed" to experience. Blended coffees, especially from more than one variety, offer taste treats we can can never get from a single source and they will always have an important place in the quest for great coffee experiences.

Try a robusta from a different area if your locals brew robusta for cheap and easy, and maybe you will think a lot differently about it. I lived in Colorado for several years, right down the road from the countries largest and best beef lots, and yet we could not get good steak locally. It was all shipped to the coasts where the restaurants would pay 4X the price. Markets are a funny thing.

Trung Nguyen makes a great robusta and they also carry a Brazilian Robusta but I can't imagine buying a Brazilian robusta from Vietnam, although I did try a sample and it wasn't half bad. But their own trademark Culi Robusta still reigns king I think.

joaquin

Aug 19, 2005
Puerto Rico
Visit site
To Ibrault , i tasted once in a life time long a good robusta , long time dont have that expirience , i will be interested in buying from you the best robusta you can find , roasted , well not fransh roast.
Question Can we exchange coffees , 10 ounces of your best robusta , for ten ounces of my best arabica from last year crop of Puerto Rico .. ?
If not i just what to buy a good robusta my palate needs the expirience ...
at your services Joaquin