PIKE PLACE ROAST

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Any thoughts on the Pike Place Roast at Starbucks? I think it's very smooth but have heard that it's for people that don't really like Starbucks. Basically, a better McDonalds/Dunkin Donuts coffee.

Carmine Domenaco

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
It was an improvement. Older central American coffees in the blend, a bit of woodiness and not a really sparkling acidity. Less roasty but a bit ashy in the finish. I suspect it has a fair amount of catimor which makes me think HG Costa Rican play a role in the blend. It will be interesting to try it again mid june when Centrals are converted to a more recent harvest.

iampatches13

May 16, 2008
Maine
Visit site
I was pleased to hear they decided to offer a ready to order brew other than the same old \"Charbucks\" special. I was disappointed however when I ordered my first cup of Pikes Place however. I was hoping for something that would have been a direct improvement on their current style. What I found myself drinking was something completely different. It was very very light, I closed myself and tried to imagine what could taste similar. Oddly enough Carmine hit pretty close to what came to my mind. A cup filled with fresh clean hot water and a stick steeping in it, much like a cinnamon stick might.

All in all I am happy for the acknowledgment that they needed a change or at least some better options, but I am disappointed in their choice of direction.