Planning on opening a coffee business

Marcia

Apr 15, 2006
Canada
Visit site
Hello everyone. I have joined this website because I am seriously interested in opening a coffee business. Right now I am in the planning stage. Creating the menu, looking at the types of coffee, etc... If anyone has ANY kind of advice or knows any good books or websites that will help me increase the qualities of my ideas, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thank you!

pleszewicz

Apr 19, 2006
North Carolina
Visit site
well, first i would ask what kind of coffee business you are looking at opening:
internet-based?
stand-alone store?
kiosk?
cart?

then i would ask how much experience you have.
regardless of your answer to the second question, i would stress that experience and passion for quality are irreplacable in this industry.

in terms of advice, here's some free: go to your favorite coffeeshop, identify exactly what you like about it and dont' like about it, and create a dialogue with the owner. i'm not talking about a consultation service, i'm talking about ten minutes over a cup of coffee. ask how they started, what obstacles they encountered, what mistakes they learned from.

call it shadow day for the adult.

that should give you a basis to ask more specific questions.

just my $0.02

Marcia

Apr 15, 2006
Canada
Visit site
Well first of all, thank you for your advice. I am planning on opening an Internet-based cafe (No food or alcohol). As far as my experience goes, unfortunately, I have none when it comes to coffee. I do however, have the basic knowledge about business and definitely passion and love for this business, lots of it. I don't plan to open my business in at least 2 years, so I am confident that I have plenty of time to learn what I need by then and to plan every detail.

I have already talked to a few coffee shop owners, but to my misfortune, they have not been very helpful. I live in Vancouver, British Columbia very busy city and it seems people don't have time to help others. Anyway I do appreciate your advice. If you know of any good books or websites that might help me, please let me know! Thank you!!!

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey Marcia:

A lot can change in 2 years. I would suggest that you keep reading here in the forums to find most of your answers. In fact read some of the previous posts on the subjects that most interest you. You will find that many ask and answer the same questions over and over again. Then as you get closer to becoming serious about starting up, you can get down to business. Until that time comes continue to educate yourself here :wink:

daredvl_edm

Mar 30, 2006
Edmonton
Visit site
Hi Marcia,

I too am a newbie doing my research, and their is truly a lot to learn. These forms are a great idea and I wish you the best. I did check out coffee guys website seattlegourmetcoffee.com and you will learn a lot by visiting his site. I know I did. He knows his stuff.

Again, good luck in your venture.

Susanto

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hey Marcia

Do you want to bring the special coffee taste in your shop, likes Luwak Coffee? contact me , i will supporting you...
Thank you

Susanto

May 13, 2006
Visit site
hey mr coffee guy

Thank you very much you want to try my luwak coffee, how and where i sould send a sample to..., better give me your friend address in Jakarta, coz i never do this before..
I will send the best one, 1 lbs unroasted luwak coffee bean is enough?

Thank you

Santo

Susanto

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hey mr Coffee Guy

Thank you for your address info, I already replly your mssg and Could you give me email address ? coz I will send some pict for my product information.

Thank you

Hey C.G. Susanto has just rung me to tell me samples are on their way. Normally takes about 2-3 days to get something from South Sumatra down to where I am. I have an export shipment going out the VA by air mid next week. Will put the samples in with that (so you are FDA cleared!!). I will ask my guys in Virginia to then onsend the sample in the USA for you.

Susanto tells me he actually is farming Luwak, which is interesting. Normally the Luwak struggle to produce under captivity, but seemingly he is doing fine. The pictures he sent for sure are the real deal. I enjoyed a BBQ'ed Luwak last week up in a village I was visiting in West Java. Poor critter, hardly enough meat to fill a sate stick or two. Was, surprisingly, quite tasty (albeit slightly gamey and tough). Most villagers are not big civet cat fans as they (the Civets) are omnivores and hunt chickens and eat eggs etc. Saw quite a few live ones while I was up there and (of course) got my own samples of KL. Hope it was not from my dinner...otherwise I am feeing guilty already.

Cheers,