Please help me choose a roaster - Ambex? Solar? or other?

Rudek

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
Dear All
I'm choosing a roaster for my small roasting business and while looking for information I came across that forum. Can you please help me choose the right roaster?
I think a small one for the beginning (2kg-3kg) would be ok, the one that would be easy to operate (my knowledge of roasting is only theoretical) and inexpensive. I realize it’s a lot of requirements but I’m sure you can help. I found a couple of interesting machines – one is Ambex 2K and the second one is Solar 2Kg – which one would you recommend? I’ve researched Ambex and it looks like a really nice machine but do you know anything about Solar? Does anyone use it? Or maybe there are other roasters that might fit into my description?
I’m really looking forward to your replies. Any comments will be welcomed.
Best Regards.
Rudek

coffeejoes

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Rudek,
I own two Ambex machines, YM-2 and a YM-10. I started out with the YM-2 but quickly needed the capacity of the YM-10. The YM-2 was the perfect starting point. The batches are small enough so you are able to experiment without being concerned over the cost of green. The profiles developed on the YM-2 transferred easily to the YM-10. The resale value on the YM-2 is very good-If you needed to sell it very little value would be lost. The people at Ambex have always been there when I had questions. I have roasted briefly on a Diedtrech and a US Roasters machines and have good results on both models. All three of these companies have good reputations in the industry. I would find a local roaster whose coffee you like and then ask if you can observe. Email if you have any additional questions.
Tim

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I also recommend Ambex. I have a 60 kilo now but have used several other sizes. I would suggest going bigger than a 2 kilo. You will outgrow it quickly! I have beat the crap out of my 60 in the past and it just keeps going...record week on my 60 kilo was 18 to 20 hours a day for 6 days straight with no problems except extreme knackeredness( I know its not a word but it sounds cool) Good luck!
Topher

Shep

Aug 27, 2004
Louisville, KY
Visit site
I have also had good results with Ambex. I have to concur with Topher about the size though. I purchased a new YM2 when I started my part-time wholesale business. I was not really even taking the business part very seriously (still don't!), but easily outgrew the YM2 in less than a year. When you are only churning out about 10lbs of roasted coffee per hour, you will eventually tire of the long days. It may be fun at first, but trust me, when you need to deliver 120lbs of coffee to someone tomorrow, 12 hours watching your YM2 spin is not that fun! I eventually purchased a YM10, am still part-time, and wish I had bought a 15 kilo instead! Anybody want to trade down?! As for reliability, both machines have worked perfectly.

Shep

griz1

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
the only thing i have been told about an electric roaster is you have to be sure of the amount of current comming to the roaster if you are on the low side it will extend the roast times or not roast at all.

Rudek

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
Thank you guys for all replies, they're really helpful. Is there anyone here that uses Solar? I would like to also hear their stories? Regards Rudek