Portafilter filters with one little hole

crema123

Mar 10, 2007
Cook Islands
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea why the home espresso makers portafilter filter sometimes only has one hole right in the middle? The commercial filters, of course, have a filter with a lot of holes, but these one's at the stores have only one hole, but a grating that makes it appear that there are more.

Is this a sign of a piece of junk?

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Please be more specific as to what you mean by one hole in the middle. Are you talking about the hole leading to the spout on the portafilter or the basket in the portafilter?

crema123

Mar 10, 2007
Cook Islands
Visit site
Hello CCafe,

Thanks for the response ... it is a single very small hole in the middle of the filter that goes into the portafilter. (not the spouts on the bottom of the portafilter). I suppose it's not really a filter, having only 1 little hole.

Thanks!

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
crema123 said:
Hello CCafe,

Thanks for the response ... it is a single very small hole in the middle of the filter that goes into the portafilter. (not the spouts on the bottom of the portafilter). I suppose it's not really a filter, having only 1 little hole.

Thanks!

It's called a pressurised portafilter and allows you to produce "crema" from fairly coarsly ground coffee (such as sold in the supermarket). It's not a proper crema, but makes the cheap store machines appear to give a decent result. The actual espresso they produce is quite poor quality unfortunately.

ericwuchina

Dec 25, 2007
Guangzhou, China
Visit site
[quote:8ad8a043c5=\"Davec\"][quote:8ad8a043c5=\"crema123\"]Hello CCafe,

Thanks for the response ... it is a single very small hole in the middle of the filter that goes into the portafilter. (not the spouts on the bottom of the portafilter). I suppose it''s not really a filter, having only 1 little hole.

Thanks![/quote:8ad8a043c5]

It''s called a pressurised portafilter and allows you to produce \"crema\" from fairly coarsly ground coffee (such as sold in the supermarket). It''s not a proper crema, but makes the cheap store machines appear to give a decent result. The actual espresso they produce is quite poor quality unfortunately.[/quote:8ad8a043c5]

Two questions,

1. If there is no portafilter (just a small hole, I think the hole''s diameter is around 0.5mm), how to prevent the coffee powder going through this hole then into cup?

2. I sam some espresso brewers have this kind small hole also, of course with a portafilter, the coffee go through filter then bypass this hole, into cup. what''s the function of this hole? just for generating fate crema?