Portafilter Forced Off (Silvia)

realsper

Dec 10, 2006
Visit site
I have a Rancilio Silvia that is misbehaving. When the coffee is ground fine enough to make a proper espresso, the portafilter begins to make a fizzling sound and turns until it comes off, unless it is held on. I replaced the gasket a while back, but it still seems to have the problem. Sometimes it just leaks around the portafilter, sometimes the pressure just turns it.

I'd like to fix it, it's pain to have stand there holding the portafilter on.

cindy

Feb 8, 2005
South Africa
Visit site
HEY THERE

i also have the same rancillio and i had the same problem, but i find it odd that after youve replaced the gasket that you still have to hold onto the portafiller. maybe the edges of the portafiller is a bit worn (wild guess), try to get hold of a new portafiller and test it and see if you still have to hold onto it.

what i have had some trouble with is that every 5th or so shot i want to pour, i have water leaking all around the portafiller.
ive had agents service all the seals for me. they say they cant understand why this keeps happening.

maybe share a bit of info with me....ive got all my staff saying a little prayer before making each cup just so it comes out....lol

let me know.... :lol:

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
Possibly these machines have seen enough action that they are worn severely. If the "ears" or "tabs" on the portafilter have worn and the group head flange is also worn, the portafilter may not lock in tight enough. Your solution would then be to replace the group head and the portafilter.
I have used Rancilio (but not this model) and not experienced this problem. I have used some old and exceptionally worn machines and noticed that they become leaky and are severely worn without having your level of difficulty. Perhaps I crank harder on the portafilter handle than you do?
Are the tabs on you portafilters worn completely through the chrome plating and wearing the brass core significantly? If your portafilter shows that kind of wear, likely the group head flange is similarly trashed.

cindy

Feb 8, 2005
South Africa
Visit site
thanks for the reply.

my portafillers aren't worn, but you can see theyve been used, as for the group heads...it doesnt show usage marks as much as the portafillers do.

i have in the meantime found a different solution to the leaking.
i took the rubber seal out and had a 2mm thin plastic strip cut to the exact shape of the rubber seal. i simply stuck it into the machine before i replaced the rubbers...its been going for 2 days now and ive had the perfect espresso each time.

LOVELY!

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
Hi Cindy;
Now that you mention the spacer, I remember a service tech using cardboard spacers under the gasket to make do with an under-thickness gasket. The cardboard cleaned out easily, check on your plastic shim to be sure it doesn't melt from the group head temperature.
Your gasket may not be as thick as the original manufacturer specification, or it might be for a different model Rancilio. As the gaskets age (from constant heat and normal wear), they get thinner and harder and brittle and lose their "grip", so you guys might both just need to replace gaskets more frequently (I usually replace them quarterly, whether "necessary" or not). I suggest you order a few at a time, since the freight cost (and your time) is significantly more than the gasket value. Some gaskets have a particular top and bottom design, be careful to install them properly.

cindy

Feb 8, 2005
South Africa
Visit site
ive got a new problem.

my gasket keeps falling out. (rancilio silvia)
this has been taking place for the past 2 days.
it is a new gasket which i replaced during the first week of december, so it isnt warn or hardened. i have in the meantime stuck a new one in, just to make sure, and when i tried making a cup this morning, the gasket fell out. its like its not gripping at all. in the meantime im only using one side....so its VERY inconvenient.

has anyone else experienced this problem....please give me some advice!

designo

Jan 26, 2007
Visit site
gasket source?

Speaking of leaky gaskets, mine is and I want to replace it.

Can someone tell me of the cheapest source in the US? I found one that wanted $8. for shipping.

Thanks