Portafilter-Starbuck's Barista

guzlaw

Aug 30, 2004
Visit site
Anyone... help. I received a Starbuck's Barista (used) as a gift. However, no portafilter. I don't know much about espresso machines....

Do I need to purchase the Portafilter from Starbucks, or can it be purchased after market? i.e. do these machines use a uniform standard for the portafilters?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

ARPhilJ

Sep 10, 2004
Visit site
Guzlaw,

I recently got a Starbucks Barista myself. The machine comes with a "pressurized" portafilter. You'd probably have to get a replacement for that from Starbucks.

More experienced "barista's" prefer non-pressurized PF's since that gives you more control over the espresso. I just got a non-pressurized PF from Saeco (Item #226551350) for $18.50. Their toll-free number is 800/933-7876.

I used it yesterday for the first time - worked like a charm. Check out the forums on CoffeeGeek.com for other discusions of the Starbucks Barista.

Hope this helps.

Phil

ARPhilJ

Sep 10, 2004
Visit site
Oops - forgot to mention that the Saeco PF doesn't come with a basket. You'll also need part # 124650221 - Large portafilter basket for $3.60.

HomeRoast

Oct 8, 2004
Placentia, CA
Visit site
Does anybody know what size tamper I should buy?

I picked up my Barista at a yard sale for $2 :lol: ... Called Starbuck's Warranty number, and they helped me fix one issue - works great!!!!!

I removed the "auto tamping" mechanism from the portafilter because it was not allowing water through. I need to get a tamper, but could use some help. What sized tamper is best for this thing? The portafilter looks like 52-54mm inside, but I am not sure...

Please lemme know if ya know! :-D

ARPhilJ

Sep 10, 2004
Visit site
HomeRoast,

The portafilter is a 53MM. I bought a 52mm tamper but it's undersized. Wish I bought the 53 instead.

Good luck,

Phil

ARPhilJ

Sep 10, 2004
Visit site
I'm new to espresso myself. I've seen on other boards that more experienced people consider pressurized PF's to be "training wheels". Their opinion seems to be that with correct grind, quantity of coffee and tamping pressure a better shot can be drawn.

Pressurized PF's and "crema enhancers" seem to be thought to produce imitation crema - not the real thing. Check out the forums @ CoffeeGeek.com.

Phil

iBeanGood

Oct 14, 2004
Golden, Colorado
Visit site
Thanks Phil,

I have an old Seaco rio vapore which has a manual valve in the portofilter (which I'd guess would classify it as pressurized). I turn on the pump with the valve closed and wait for the pump to stall, then open the valve. All I know is my machine makes what I consider to be outstanding crema. My friend has the Starbuck's Barista (identical machine except for PF) with the automatic valve and IMHO it doesn't work nearly as well.

The coffeeGeeks probably think I Bean Bad!