Possible coffee sensitivity...

spicypumpkin

Aug 4, 2008
Visit site
Years ago, as a young teenager, I was able to drink coffee on a daily basis with no ill effects. Just a couple of years ago, however, I developed what I thought was a caffeine sensitivity. I stopped drinking coffee because I would get nervous, jittery, and my heart would race. I always found it odd because I would never get this way from drinking tea or other caffeinated beverages. I even had an energy drink once with no bad side effects.

Once I got jittery from decaf that I ordered at Starbucks, but I assumed they just got my order wrong and gave me regular instead. I guess all these years I just assumed there was something different about the caffeine in coffee that made me feel so funny or that coffee just had a higher caffeine content than everything else I drank.

I did some research and apparently you can have a sensitivity to the coffee itself, not the caffeine. Does anyone here know about this? I couldn''t find too much info on it.

Are there any varieties of coffee that are better for people with a sensitivity? I definitely enjoy the taste of coffee, and I''d like to know if there''s any way to enjoy it without feeling so crummy.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Your not the first person who I've heard this from. Coffee is like tobacco they still haven't identified all the compounds that make it up. I guess you and a the other people can't handle something in the coffee.

wrotek3

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Years ago, as a young teenager, I was able to drink coffee on a daily basis with no ill effects. Just a couple of years ago, however, I developed what I thought was a caffeine sensitivity. I stopped drinking coffee because I would get nervous, jittery, and my heart would race. I always found it odd because I would never get this way from drinking tea or other caffeinated beverages. I even had an energy drink once with no bad side effects.

Once I got jittery from decaf that I ordered at Starbucks, but I assumed they just got my order wrong and gave me regular instead. I guess all these years I just assumed there was something different about the caffeine in coffee that made me feel so funny or that coffee just had a higher caffeine content than everything else I drank.

I did some research and apparently you can have a sensitivity to the coffee itself, not the caffeine. Does anyone here know about this? I couldn''t find too much info on it.

Are there any varieties of coffee that are better for people with a sensitivity? I definitely enjoy the taste of coffee, and I''d like to know if there''s any way to enjoy it without feeling so crummy.

Yes this is very good obsercation, check this study Coffee Acutely Increases Sympathetic Nerve Activity and Blood Pressure Independently of Caffeine Content: Role of Habitual Versus Nonhabitual Drinking -- Corti et al. 106 (23): 2935 -- Circulation

Jezza

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Hi there. Your nervousness and heart racing sounds familiar. Im in my middle thirties and rush with every cup i drink. My wife laughs at me because i talk real fast, but after a while she just wants to shut me up. Keeps me up late too. I don't have any advise, but i thought you would feel some comfort to know that you're not alone. I love my coffee and ill just have to find a way to control my highs. Good luck.

CJA

Sep 20, 2011
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Yes Jezza -- sounds like you might want to consult a doctor about the way coffee affects you. I remember my doctor practically keeling over when I told him years ago I was drinking 10 cups a day...and I didn't even have any side effects like you've experienced.

Good luck,
Chris