PR: Cafemakers Donates Coffee Training Experience to Benefit

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Andrew, thank you for supporting such a worthy cause. I regularly do work with the women's center near me and I wish there were more socially concious businesses like yours. Once I open, I would love to support them.

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
AJPRATT said:
Andrew, thank you for supporting such a worthy cause. I regularly do work with the women's center near me and I wish there were more socially concious businesses like yours. Once I open, I would love to support them.

Hey, thank you!

Having led a fairly safe and insulated life thus far, I (like I suspect most) had not really thought about domestic violence, its causes, impact on society and the many victims involved. When I was contacted by the organization earlier this year, I did a little research and was truly shocked to learn 1) how widespread the problems are 2) the significant portion of overall crime that is directly linked to domestic violence and 3) how simple (not easy, but simple) it is to wipe-out completely.

It was brought to my attention that domestic violence is a learned behavior; people do it because that's all they know from how they were raised. When you derail that cycle (e.g. dad stops beating mom or habitual offender dad is removed from the picture) then child doesn't beat child's spouse 20 years from now. Simple math that is 100% effective. What else are we waiting for?

We have the "cure" to this problem today with no new technologies to discover or physical addictions to overcome - it's here. Now, we just need to use it. My skills are not entirely applicable to social work, but what I can do (like putting on a workshop for those dedicated to the cause), I will. ...seems like a good "investment" in all of our futures.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
I think it is a great investment! What is shocking is that domestic voilence affects people from all walks of life, not just the poor. The victims feel that they are trapped and that there is no where to go. I left an abusive husband and was afraid of being able to survive without him--he made very good money and we lived a "great" life. Deciding to leave is truly the hardest part. Once you do that, it all falls into place from there. Its been a long road for me, but now, here I am seven years later married to a great guy and looking to open my own business!

And you are right, it is rare for someone who comes from an abusive home to not become an abuser.

Bravo to you for being part of a group that give hope to people who feel they have none. I feel it is not only my obligation, but privelege to reach out and help others who are on the same path I was.