Pretty strong coffee

gsan

Dec 12, 2020
Visit site
Can drinking fairly/relatively strong cold brew coffee without cream/milk still cause gastric problems in some people? What if low acid coffee was to be used? 90% less acid… will using low acid coffee and drinking it pretty strong still cause gastric problems in some.....??

baristaraimo

Jan 20, 2023
Millburn, NJ
Visit site
Unfortunately, drinking strong cold brew coffee without milk can cause gastric problems for some individuals, whether using low-acid coffee. Though low-acid coffee is gentler on the stomach, it still contains certain compounds, such as caffeine and other acids, that can cause stomach irritation or acid reflux in some people. Cold brew coffee is generally less acidic than hot brewed coffee. But it still contains acid. So, listen to your body and limit your intake if you experience discomfort or gastric issues.

froze

May 14, 2012
Visit site
By Cold Brew I'm assuming you mean steeping the coffee for 12 or so hours, if so, that type of coffee brewing reduces acidity by roughly 70% over other methods of brewing coffee.

70%!

Now that you know that, then you can figure out how much coffee you can drink and not have it bother your stomach as much as other brews.

bullet08

Mar 30, 2023
NC, USA
Visit site
Up until 2011, I couldn't drink coffee. Espresso was fine for some reason. After years of acid reflux, a cup of coffee would give hell for the rest of a day. Now it doesn't bother me at all. I was on med for acid reflux back then too. So, not sure what changed.

froze

May 14, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like that in order to eliminate problems with heartburn is not to drink a lot of coffee, I hate to sound obvious. Strong coffee isn't necessary to drink as much, all I have is a 1/3 of a cup of coffee a day at breakfast, and on rare occasions, I may have another 1/3rd at lunch, but I'm 67, the older most people get, the more likely to experience heartburn, or acid reflux from certain drinks and foods.

I do ride a bicycle, when I'm going on long rides of over 50 miles I put strong coffee into a small flask that holds about 4 ounces, and sip it while riding. Even when I go bicycle camping or touring I drink the same 1/3 cup of coffee I make when I eat breakfast, and put some into that flask to sip along the route.

The camping coffee is made differently than when I'm at home, at home I make it a number of different ways, but camping I only make pour-over coffee because the GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker I use takes up virtually no space and weighs next to nothing, it's the most compact coffee maker made.