Private label coffee

ladyrose

Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
Hi. I was thinking about starting my own private label coffee to sell over the internet and possibly at a cart in the mall. Has anyone ever done this? I would be using a company that will package their coffee under my brand. Any advice would be appreciated as all this is new to me. Thanks :)

tomcat

Mar 5, 2004
Visit site
My experience in Singapore

Usually, that would require contract terms of sort. Some of the contract roasters I know demand at list 250kg a run. So you have to be careful. The other way out would be to used the same formulation but rip off the label. Get a volume term that is suitable for you and then paste your label.

As for myself, if I were to roast, I run into a whole host of Environment and safety procedured that would most likely kill me before I sell to the customer.

Please also ensure that you are not in the same taget group. Meaning, if the main roaster already had cover the hotel industry, it would not be wise to go that route as it will go into a price wall. So you basically have door to door or internet sale.

Tell me how it goes with you ...

Regards

yourcoffee

Mar 5, 2004
Visit site
Generally speaking, most manufacturers will require anywhere between a 20' container to 40' container in order to private label, due to the high costs of creating and packaging your own brand. As a general rule, the first container or two are usually just breakeven for the manufacturer, with the hopes that more sales are on their way.

However, like tomcat explained, it all depends on the contract that you have set up with the manufacturer. Sometimes we can be flexible based on the outlook of a particular client, sometimes not.

There is a possibility as well, depending on what types of packaging you are looking at, at putting together a "mixed container" of different sizes and blends (regular coffee, instant coffee, capppucino, etc) and working out a longer term deal to supply those and give the client a better mix to sell.

All we do is manufacture for private label, so if you need any more specific information, you can always feel free to contact me and I'll try to help the best I can.

Best of luck to you.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey Lady Rose and Vinarabica:

As your coffee and tomcat mentioned, private labeling can be a very expensive proposition. Big volume is normally the name of the game for roasters to be able to make a profit and make it worth wild to do it. However, that is not to say that something on a smaller scale does not exist. Please feel free to contact me and we'll see if we might be able to assist you both in your projects. We've helped a few on this forum, maybe we can help you too.

mightybean

Apr 8, 2003
Medina, Ohio
Visit site
Why go private lable

I sell coffee and tea on the web and dont even worry about private lable. In fact I use my roasters lables on everything I sell. Private lable is extremly over-rated and costly. Heres your tip of the day. Find the best roaster you can find, that will work with you and meet your needs. Make sure that what they are selling is really fresh roasted and not sitting around for months on end and promote the bejeebers out of it, talk it up man. I sell coffee to people all over the country. Oh yea I do get repeat business to, most people dont care who roasted it, they know who they bought it from, and if you took care of them they will be back again, plain and simply. This is where small companies shoot themselves in the foot. If you really believe you are selling the best product and your custoemrs agree then to have something private labled is silly. If you can buy in the volume that most roasters require then go ahead and do it. To me its not all that important. Would you believe that I have sold coffee to people who literally live within walking distance of the roaster that I use. Is happens. Just take care of the customer and they'll be back no matter whos lable is on the bag.

Im Out
Ron
www.mightybeancoffee.com

Vinarabica

Mar 1, 2004
Houston, TX
Visit site
Hi mightybean

Hi Ron
I went to your site and i must admit i like it very much. Did you design the site yourself or you hired some1 to do it? I am thinking about building designing a website(similar to yours)..any suggestions how should i start?
Thanks a lottttttttt
Tony

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Wow Ron :oops: Tell us how you really feel. Believe it or not a lot of people want to private label their coffee. Especially when they are proud of their business. More and more the larger companies, coffee or otherwise, super markets as an example, all use their own private label on many products. It gives them a sense of identy by putting their name on something and brings them more customer loyality. So it gives the smaller operator that same sense of importance. We've helped a number of small operators do this through private labeling whereas some of the larger roasters will not do this service for them because they would rather see their own name in lights. I'm just happy to serve my customer. As for your comment about private labeling being silly. I have to disagree, that's like telling your customer, "You don't know what you want." And as a roaster I don't let bad product leave my shop, and any good roaster out there will tell you that our reputation rests on good, fresh roasted coffee. Our course if you are not a roaster you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between coffee that was roasted two days ago or seven days ago. However, I do agree that you should find a roaster you like, and if you have an opportunity to visit them.

Well time for me to get off the soap box...I just had to chime in after reading this post. :twisted:

MrJerry

We've been doing more private labeling the past several months, and as stated above it can be rather expensive. Most of my clients require only 400-500 lbs/mo., we even take care of a few that need 100 lbs/mo.

LMK if you'd like more information, I might be able to help you out.

JJ

Mar 29, 2004
Amsterdam
Visit site
Private Lable Coffee Thesis

Hi everyone,

First of all, what a great idea this forum!! I've been looking for something like this for quite some time now so i'm glad to have found it.

I'm currently writing a thesis (International Business and Management Studies, Amsterdam School of Business) about private label coffee. In a nutshell: I'm researching if there's possible business potential for an Italian delicacy store to offer private labels to retail shops (especially in the apparel sector) that serve their clients a 'fine cup of coffee'. The idea behind this is that retailers will create an extra bit of customer satisfaction and loyalty by serving their clients something special: a fine cup of coffee, freshly brewed and with the name of the shop on the packaging/cup/spoon etc.

I'd be glad if some of you could coudl take the time to respond to this idea and share your thoughts about this with me. Thanks in advance.

Jurryt van Arend
Amsterdam/The Netherlands

Skiz

Aug 26, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I must say I agree with coffeeguy, Not only is the label important but the quality is also. We roast our own coffee also and our biggest concern is the quality and freshness. Getting to our customers quickly so they can enjoy it fresh.

CoffeeGiant
www.coffeegiant.com