problem with espresso roast!!!

muzoon

Dec 5, 2005
Estonia
Visit site
my roasted espresso tastes ok but problem is crema. it has a non equal colour (on the side its dark and in the middle it is light), crema is thin, there are biger bubbles present, and crema gets lost prety fast.
what is wrong with my roast, what could be the mistakes i made during roasting my espresso? how can i fix this problem? if i put some more robusta does this helps?
can someone ansver me fast because it is critical moment for me!!!

thanks in advance
[/b]

ElPugDiablo

muzoon said:
it has a non equal colour (on the side its dark and in the middle it is light), crema is thin, there are biger bubbles present, and crema gets lost prety fast.

Maybe it is not your blend, but your espresso machind setting, your grinder or your tamping? Have you try to pull shots using someone else's espresso blend in your machine? If your are getting similar results, then it's your machine setting, your grinder or your tamping.

If it is not the above, then as a general rule natural dried processed beans give you more crema and body. Although Robusta give more crema, they are the bigger bubbles type.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
How long is it taking for you to pull a shot and how many ounces is your shot...then we can tell if it is your grind...as to your roast, how long after you roast are you pulling shots? You dont need robusta to get crema...yes robusta will kick up the crema..but it is not manditory.

muzoon

Dec 5, 2005
Estonia
Visit site
my espresso is roasted on 15- 16th of feb. pulls are comming in between 20-30 seconds (grind is ok), shot is apox. 1 oz
we tryed it on dipherent espresso machines and some 3 dipherent people pulled the shots, but the result is the same.
earlies times it has been all ok (btw. esp. blend is the same, machines the same, people the same, no problem with adjusting the grind) but this time there´s bad crema.
can it maybe be the watter, the temperature?

vudh

Feb 1, 2006
Visit site
I have another assumption..
if you're sure that it's not because of the machine of how to pull the shot.

maybe it's because the roast was getting dark too quick
while inside the bean is not well cooked.

probably you've used too high temp.
let's try to extend you roast time, maybe it can solve this problem.

good luck :)

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
muzoon said:
my roasted espresso tastes ok but problem is crema. it has a non equal colour (on the side its dark and in the middle it is light), crema is thin, there are biger bubbles present, and crema gets lost prety fast.
what is wrong with my roast, what could be the mistakes i made during roasting my espresso? how can i fix this problem? if i put some more robusta does this helps?
can someone ansver me fast because it is critical moment for me!!!

thanks in advance
[/b]

What is your pump set at?
How long are you pulling your shots?
Once the shot begins to get pale.. stop the extraction.. the pale coffee 'blonding' kills coffee....

hoser

Feb 13, 2006
minnesota
Visit site
espress

From the dates on your listing I would venture to say your espresso is old - try it with a fresher espresso- we roast ours every three days-lots of crema.