Promotion-Word of Mouth Idea?

777cory777

Jul 18, 2006
B.C., Canada
Visit site
I have never seen this done, I am just wondering if anybody does. You know how at some restaraunts if somebody can eat a burger with like 6 patties, the name of the burger gets changed to their name? Well does anybody do the coffee equivalent of this with shots of espresso? For instance if some guy named "joe" took 8 shots of espresso you'd change the name of the 8 shot espresso to "The Joe" And if somebody can take 9, then the name gets changed and you keep going. People around town will start talking about it and its a good conversation topic. Also, how funny would it be to see someone do that and get so wired? :-D

Comfy Place

Jul 15, 2006
Bloomer, Wisconsin
Visit site
Promotion

I think that this would be a really cool idea! You can build a good marketing scheme around this to kick things off, and you can always issue follow-up press releases when someone takes over the "crown". You would need to setup some basic ground rules that are readily posted or given to the prospective contestants, even perhaps a waiver (check with your lawyer first!). Be sure to take their picture and post it in the store; you could also have a list of people who tried but failed and list how many shots they did get (hey, I don't know if I'd even want to down 3 shots, let alone 8 or 9!).

I think that I'm going to try to flesh out this idea more to see if its something that we may want to do at our coffeehouse. Thanks for the idea!

H Man

Jun 21, 2006
NYC
Visit site
Sounds good in theory...but it's not like it's tequila or something. I mean, I think the shot count could go REALLY high. 8 or 9 would be a cakewalk I think.

On a more abstract level, you might also want to give some thought to thhe message being sent out by this, not sure there is one, but it might be signaling to some folks that espresso is, I don't know....dangerous in some way? Like it's an extreme thing....

Just playin devil's advocate here, so I hope you don't take offense. Do let us know if you do it and how it turns out.

Bottom's up!

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
It has P.R. potential; but, is your business the coffee equivalent of the sort of "feeding factory" that runs these sorts of overindulgence promotions? I'm not sure that it's the kind of association that a better quality coffee shop (or restaurant, for that matter) would want.

a.l.a. come order the "Shaky Jake" special and drink coffee unitl you vomit!

Andrew

(sorry Ann Arbor-ites, no offense intended to Shaky Jake)