Propane or Natural Gas

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
This year I am expanding my coffee company to include roaster sales. I will be importing roasters direct from the manufacturer in Turkey.

For purposes of business modeling, I'm curious to know how many roasting professionals on the forum have propane roasters vs. natural gas. Although I am not a fan of electric roasters, I should include them in the poll - commercial shop roasters only, please.

Please post your preference - thanks for your input!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
What brand are you improting? Its been a long time..glad to see you are still around...do me a favor I lost all my numbers on my phone..send me your number want to hear about your new venture.
Later
Christopher

okcespresso

Apr 21, 2008
Visit site
[quote:73dbec6e6c=\"ElPugDiablo\"]I use natural gas. For what it is worth, I would love to see 12 - 22 kg shop to semi industrial roasters with features like that of Loring Smart Roast Kestrel S35.[/quote:73dbec6e6c]

I visited US Roaster Corp last Friday and he had an 18kg \"revelation\" roaster that uses a catalytic converter to clean and recirculate the hot air back to the roaster. He said the whole thing uses about 70k btu vs 700k btu just for the afterburner on a normal 18kg roaster. He was taking it to the show this week. I think that hits the high notes of the Loring.

Coffeeexpert

Jun 29, 2008
USA
Visit site
Why would you want to cover your precious beans in burn chaff and exhaust? I can't imagine that tasting good. You must be importing "Ambex" cough :wink: Has Garanti roasters. I stand corrected... Ozturk

td

Feb 20, 2007
Clearwater, Fl
Visit site
Ambex has never had a business relationship with either Has Garnati or Toper (not that there is anything wrong with either of these companies). You would think that a cough :wink: "coffee expert" would know this. Ambex roasters are designed and assembled in Clearwater, FL. and yes, the bodies are manufactured in Turkey as per our design specs. Furthermore, all control system work is done solely in Florida. Welcome to the global economy.

As for your burnt chaff and exhaust comment- I can only assume that you are talking about recirculators. If this is the case then it is painfully obvious that you are completely unfamilar with how these systems work. I am also pretty certain that you have never roasted on a Revelation. How about the next time, before you make snide remarks about any piece of equipment, you actually try and use said equipment? Assuming you actually know how to roast coffee that is.

And since we are on the subject of coffee experts- who would self apply such a label? who would apply such a label and then remain anonymous?

-Terry Davis
President
Ambex, Inc

td

Feb 20, 2007
Clearwater, Fl
Visit site
Not Ozturk either.
Coffeeexpert- your post(s) would be laughable were they not so potentially damaging to the companies and the readers that seek to convey and receive information in an open, factual manner. Posters such as yourself, that mislead and misinform, either on purpose or accidently waste a lot of honest people's time. It is posters such as yourself that drive many coffee professionals from these discussion boards; professionals that have concrete information that they would be willing to share. But, who are unwilling to argue with anonymous ignoramuses such as you.

Specifically,your posts about Ambex are neither true in fact nor in implication. Perhaps you should come to us and learn for yourself. And while you are here you could try an apology to the men and women that work hard to put out a great product, innovate, and help move this industry forward. The same could be said of many of the companies and professions you seek to malign; including brokers and roasters as well as equipment manufacturers. Our industry, already suffereing from a glut of cheap and easy celebrity could actually use a few less people with your proclivities. In short you hurt the very industry you profess to want to help.

Coffeeexpert...... Coffeeposeur would be a truer screen name for you.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
td said:
Not Ozturk either.
Coffeeexpert- your post(s) would be laughable were they not so potentially damaging to the companies and the readers that seek to convey and receive information in an open, factual manner. Posters such as yourself, that mislead and misinform, either on purpose or accidently waste a lot of honest people's time. It is posters such as yourself that drive many coffee professionals from these discussion boards; professionals that have concrete information that they would be willing to share. But, who are unwilling to argue with anonymous ignoramuses such as you.

Now that you've said that, please try to stop by more often we always like hearing from you. I just hope this doesn't discourage you from posting more.

td

Feb 20, 2007
Clearwater, Fl
Visit site
Ccafe- Thanks and I'll try. It is not just this forum, it is all such forums. And it is a damn shame. Eliminating anonymity helps but doesn't entirely alleviate the problem. To be honest for awhile I quit posting on all BBs, I am posting again but very carefully and very infrequently.

Terry Davis
Ambex, Inc

VROAST

Aug 23, 2016
Albuquerque
Visit site
I don't know much about different gas roasters, I do know I can't drink gas roasted coffee, specially from the older roasters. Electric air roasted coffee has help me stand out in my community for having a better cup of coffee. That's saying a lot being surrounded by 3 drum roaster within just a couple miles of each other.

It's my belief Michael Sivetz had done the world of coffee right when he designed the first fluid bed roaster. If coffee is roasted more like you would popcorn, then making popcorn in a gas drum roaster maybe not work out. So maybe roasting coffee in a drum like you would roast chile is not such a good idea. Just my opinion. Michael @ vroast.com