Prosumer Espresso Machine - Advice Needed

Sebastian

Jul 2, 2007
Visit site
I''m planning on opening an espresso shop a few years down the road and I want to start learning how to make espressos and latte art. I''m looking for advice on the right machine(s) to get me started in the right direction.

I''m looking for something for home use; I don''t care about the price too much, as long as it''s not ridiculously expensive. What would be a good \"prosumer\" model of espresso machine to choose? In addition, what other pieces of equipment are advisable?

Thanks in advance. I just registered to this forum, but I expect to spend a lot of time here in the future.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Sebastian said:
I''m planning on opening an espresso shop a few years down the road and I want to start learning how to make espressos and latte art. I''m looking for advice on the right machine(s) to get me started in the right direction.

I''m looking for something for home use; I don''t care about the price too much, as long as it''s not ridiculously expensive. What would be a good "prosumer" model of espresso machine to choose? In addition, what other pieces of equipment are advisable?

Thanks in advance. I just registered to this forum, but I expect to spend a lot of time here in the future.

What's ridiculously expensive $500, $1000, $2000? Shoot us a price range that way we can help you make a better decision.

Sebastian

Jul 2, 2007
Visit site
Something under $500. Essentially, I'm looking for something for home use, but that would approximate the experience of a professional espresso machine. I've heard of "prosumer" models, but I've never heard of any specific examples of them.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
CCafe, now the Kimono has been opened on price..........you have a big challenge to recommend anything to meet his requirements :lol:

....and all that's before mentioning the need for a decent grinder.

Sebastian

Jul 2, 2007
Visit site
What's the general price range for prosumer model espresso machines? I'm aware that professional models can be/are in the $1000s of dollars and most home models are only a few hundred, at most. What I'm wondering about are higher-end home models.

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
problem

Here's the problem you will run into. Generaly, assuming price reflects quality, the more expensive the machine the higher and more evenly pressurized it will be. The more erratic and less pressurised the machine is the harder it is to make "perfect" froth, or shots for that matter. Doing latte art requires that silky smooth wet froth.
Not sure what area you are in but if it is large enough you may want to just search around for a class or just get a barista to teach you at their shop.

A friend of mine just got a la Pavoni Romantica. Its pretty nice for one or two people. I believe he paid ~500.00 for it. Not good if you want to pump out shot after shot but feels good to use and is attractive.