Pseudo Blue Mountain

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
I was talking with a fellow coffee professional Friday about a certain blend his roaster sells - seems they carefully blended Central and South American coffee flavor profiles to produce a single taste that is remarkably like Jaimacan Blue Mountain...but at a fraction of the cost.

Has anyone successfully attempted this? What beans would you use? Sounds intriguing! Let's tackle pseudo M/J blend next! :D

pstam

Jan 7, 2005
China
Visit site
BeanGrinder said:
I was talking with a fellow coffee professional Friday about a certain blend his roaster sells - seems they carefully blended Central and South American coffee flavor profiles to produce a single taste that is remarkably like Jaimacan Blue Mountain...but at a fraction of the cost.

Has anyone successfully attempted this? What beans would you use? Sounds intriguing! Let's tackle pseudo M/J blend next! :D

You can easily buy the coffee ground of Blue Mountain Style coffee from Melitta in market. I do not think they would tell you what beans they use. It is something like a secret, commercially.

rcs1

Feb 10, 2005
Visit site
If I recall correctly, most of the Bourbon typica trees that are growing in Sumatra were imported there from the mountains of Jamaica. Does this make it Jamaican coffee? No, but there are similarities.

This is the problem: JBM has, somewhat undeservedly, obtained a cachet reputation of being the best coffee in the world. It isn't. It is one of the most expensive though.

I suggest that you read the following, regarding JBM coffee:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.islands.jamaica.html

C.

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
rcs1 said:
If I recall correctly, most of the Bourbon typica trees that are growing in Sumatra were imported there from the mountains of Jamaica. Does this make it Jamaican coffee? No, but there are similarities.

This is the problem: JBM has, somewhat undeservedly, obtained a cachet reputation of being the best coffee in the world. It isn't. It is one of the most expensive though.

I suggest that you read the following, regarding JBM coffee:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.islands.jamaica.html

C.

No doubt, the article is right on. Still, they charge around $19/lb! I think JBM has a distinct flavor. But I also think it is crazy to pay that much for it. This is a case of classic supply & demand gone horribly wrong.

That's why the idea of a mock JBM is so fascinating. For a fraction of the cost, we can duplicate the taste with little compromise. But it takes some extreme profile analysis and matching.

Thanks for the article reference!

ourcoffeebarn

Nov 8, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
A really good Panama Boquette will be just as good as a JBM. I sell the Jamaica Blue Mountain from the Mavis Bank region. I personaly enjoy it but my wife just doesn't see why it is so expensive. I guess the Jamaicans are the smartest about a Great Marketing program!

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
ourcoffeebarn said:
A really good Panama Boquette will be just as good as a JBM. I sell the Jamaica Blue Mountain from the Mavis Bank region. I personaly enjoy it but my wife just doesn't see why it is so expensive. I guess the Jamaicans are the smartest about a Great Marketing program!

It's supply and demand. But, no doubt, there has been some creative marketing over the years. That builds the demand! I would really love to construct the perfect blend to help fill the void!

rcs1

Feb 10, 2005
Visit site
But the problem is that there is no void to fill. Jamican Blue Mountain has the cachet that it has because of its name, not because it is the best coffee in the world. So a blend that replicates a taste that almost no coffee drinkers know is IMHO, pointless. I've had JBM. I couldn't say one thing about the way that it tasted. There was nothing particularly special about it, nothing that made me say "Wow, that is a great coffee". I'd rather have a good Yirg, Harrar, Yemen Mocha, Kenya AA, etc. All of these coffee's are better than JBM as far as I am concerned. But they don't have the name or the exclusivity, and neither will any blend of other coffees, even if it comes close to tasting exactly like JBM, it still isn't JBM.

Let's make an analogy. Say we have a Subaru WRX STi, and Subaru decides to make a model of it that exceeds the specs of a Porsche 911 in every way. It's faster, handles better, has a better interior, and more standard features. In every way, this car is a better car than a 911. But it still isn't a Porsche.

I'm not saying that it isn't admirable to try and blend a great tasting blend, but that is what it is, a blend.

ron45

May 4, 2005
New Mexico
Visit site
No has mentioned that JBM is a blend from the growers claiming to grow that coffee in that region. Seems like it would vary somewhat from season to season. I've never even tasted it. It used to be used at the white house. But this current bunch of hillbillys wouldn't know it from maxwell house instant.

Ron