Puerto Rican Coffee

JavaNights

Sep 29, 2005
Dallas,Texas
Visit site
Need two things:

1) Need to find a supplier of Green Puerto Rican Coffee. My supplier doesn't carry any.

2) Would like to order some Puerto Rican Coffee from a roaster. I've never try any and heard many good things about the Coffee.

Please respond to this message or direct: [email protected]

Thanks,
Joe Frabosilio
Java Nights

neglid

Oct 30, 2005
Visit site
This forum has a few threads. on Puerto Rican Coffee. Do a search and contact them by e-mail. By the way, Hawaii is not the only place in the
United States where coffee is harvested.

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
Yea, but technically Puerto Rico isn't a state! I have a healthy group of plants growing in north Georgia - we'll be on the map in a few years!

Puerto Rican coffee is over-rated. I have some at home and don't see it as a super-premium coffee, but they claim it to be. Most of what I've read puts it on par with a nice Costa Rican, which I would agree with.

aeneas1

Mar 22, 2005
Visit site
you are right, puerto rico is not a state, it's a u.s. commonwealth although there is a puerto rican political party that strives for statehood. anyway, i lived in puerto rico for 5 years and i like puerto rican coffee very much. however, the coffee experience in p.r. is not the same as it is in the u.s. nor do puerto ricans usually brew their coffee as we do.

in p.r. coffee is a no-nonsense beverage brewed and drinken strong while espresso is treated like the drug that it is with many shops having only standup bars/areas where the shot is thrown back and the patron are quickly out the door.

frankly, the level of pomp and circumstance surrounding a mere cup of coffee or an espresso infused beverage in this country is hysterical, or insane - i haven't quite decided which. as was the case with domestic wine, u.s. marketers have turned a simple cup of coffee into a complex, hand-crafted artisan beverage.

if a puerto rican had a cup of puerto rican coffee in the u.s., he/she wouldn't recognize it...

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
Of course I'm right, but thanks for clarifying the purpose of our occupation of Puerto Rico. But I'm also not sure how long they can be considered a commonwealth, either. According to a statement by the President’s Task Force on Puerto Rico’s Status, released in December 2005, it is not possible “to bind future Congresses to any particular arrangement for Puerto Rico as a Commonwealthâ€

aeneas1

Mar 22, 2005
Visit site
from jfk forward, every administration has wrestled with the status of puerto rico recognizing that a commonwealth is nothing short of colonialism. the u.s. virgin islands, identified as unicorporated u.s. territories as oppossed to commonwealths, is another ball of wax requiring equal attention.

btw, i'm not sure that i need to "break from puerto rican coffee" - unless, of course, enjoying it as well as many, many other varietals constitutes some sort of rut. and, lest i forget, if you feel a cup of joe is worth the pomp and circumstance, all i can say is more power to you! it's just that it's hard for me to shake the thought of millions of coffee lovers indulging in the same pomp and circumstance over a cup of norton's "pure kona coffee"....

neglid

Oct 30, 2005
Visit site
The Dec/Jan 08 issue of Barista magazine has an article on Puerto Rican Coffee. The article's first sentences read: Name the two places in the Unites States that grow coffee. No, it's not a trick question.

Education is the key.

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Okay, I read the article. So what? Some guy passed off low grade coffee as pure Kona for a premium price. What I'd like to read about is why it took years for the professional coffee distributors to notice the difference. Didn't they try the coffee? If they didn't notice the difference right away, then cherry picked beans might be overrated.
Anyway, this thread topic was started by someone who was interested in Puerto Rican coffee, not Hawaiian.