Question about a coffee maker

Duras

Jan 28, 2006
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am looking to a buy a coffee maker that can make filter coffee and capuccino. The other feature I look for is to be programmable, like to start making the coffee at a certain hour. The third thing is the price, seek something not too expensive.

So far I found only espresso/cappucinno/programmable combo even I spent some time googling.

Can anyone help me with some advice?

Thank you.

Duras

Jan 28, 2006
Visit site
La Crema Coffee said:
Do you want quality or convience? Why not just use the espresso machine to make Americano's? It's way better than filter coffee.

Thanks for the answer.

I don't know that much about coffee... What is Americano's. I prefer filter coffee instead of expresso because it is not that strong so you can have a "long" coffee. Is Americano's similar?

Palpitation

Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
An Americano is an espresso watered down with hot water, basically. It tastes different from filter but it would be long and less strong like you want.

If a machine can make cappuccino it can probably make an Americano as most of them will let you get hot water out of the steam spout. Just make sure it's not on steam when you do that. You want the water hot but not boiling.

Palpitation

Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
Some further explanation. There's a reason why you're having trouble finding what you are looking for and that is that you want some mutually exclusive things.

1. A real cappuccino is based on an espresso with added frothed milk. So you technically can't really have a filter coffee maker that makes cappuccino. I suppose you could have a filter coffee maker (but I don't know if they exist) that is also able to do frothed milk and while you may be happy with that, techically speaking you are not making cappuccino if you didn't start from espresso.

2. If you go for an espresso maker rather than a filter maker you won't be able to have on timer. I don't know if they exist but I doubt they are very good. A lot of people like to grind their beans fresh for espresso and even a shamefully lazy person like myself who uses pre-ground likes to store the coffee in the freezer. There's no way I would let my coffee sit in the machine overnight. Making espresso is also tricky enough for you to have to actually pay attention. The machine won't just make it for you, so there really wouldn't be much of a point having a timer.

I think if you like filter then the espresso-Americo route is probably going to be too fussy for you. If I were you I would get a filter machine with a timer (easy to find for not too much money) and one of those battery operated milk frothers to make a "filter-cino" once in a while.

Espresso, Americano coffee and real cappuccino are in my opinion much nicer but it's only worth it if you really prefer it and it's a little bit of a hobby that you are willing to invest some time and money in.

Duras

Jan 28, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Now I understood why I couldnt find what I initially wanted. :roll:
I got a timer machine that makes filtered coffee and I am very happy with it! :grin: