Question about my new Moccamaster.

PrimDawg

Nov 20, 2021
Georgia
Visit site
I have been using my new Moccamaster for just over a week and absolutely love it. It took me a few tries to get the coffee and water amounts right for my daily use, but I’m all good now. So when I was researching I saw that the Moccamaster had a model that had an option to brew a half or full carafe. While watching videos I initially thought that the main difference between the 2 was the temp of the hot plate. But after finding a couple of other videos with very experienced owners I realized that the full carafe option brews more quickly. But I still can’t find if the hotplate temp is different. What I’ve been doing is brewing my 8 cups at the full carafe setting, then pouring my big mug and then changing the button to the half carafe setting to keep the remaining coffee hot for a bit while I get ready for work. It is only on the hot plate for about 15 minutes before I pour it into my thermos to take to work. Just wondering if anyone knows if the hot plate temp is different for the 2 settings?

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
I have been using my new Moccamaster for just over a week and absolutely love it. It took me a few tries to get the coffee and water amounts right for my daily use, but I’m all good now. So when I was researching I saw that the Moccamaster had a model that had an option to brew a half or full carafe. While watching videos I initially thought that the main difference between the 2 was the temp of the hot plate. But after finding a couple of other videos with very experienced owners I realized that the full carafe option brews more quickly. But I still can’t find if the hotplate temp is different. What I’ve been doing is brewing my 8 cups at the full carafe setting, then pouring my big mug and then changing the button to the half carafe setting to keep the remaining coffee hot for a bit while I get ready for work. It is only on the hot plate for about 15 minutes before I pour it into my thermos to take to work. Just wondering if anyone knows if the hot plate temp is different for the 2 settings?
If you are asking what I think you are asking, there is no difference in the hot plate temperature between the two models. One model permits interrupting the brew cycle to get cup of coffee before the brew cycle completes. The other model lets you choose between brewing a full carafe or a half carafe. The model that permits the half or full batch is preferred by some because it also permits holding back the brew cycle to allow your coffee to bloom a bit before dripping into the carafe. I can't help but cautioning that keeping your coffee warm on the hot plate is generally a bad idea. It does, however, sound like you are doing that for only a brief period, and that may not be an issue. Enjoy your Moccamaster, they are great coffee makers!

Last edited:

Chriss

Dec 31, 2022
Joplin, Missouri
Visit site
If you are asking what I think you are asking, there is no difference in the hot plate temperature between the two models. One model permits interrupting the brew cycle to get cup of coffee before the brew cycle completes. The other model lets you choose between brewing a full carafe or a half carafe. The model that permits the half or full batch is preferred by some because it also permits holding back the brew cycle to allow your coffee to bloom a bit before dripping into the carafe. I can't help but cautioning that keeping your coffee warm on the hot plate is generally a bad idea. It does, however, sound like you are doing that for only a brief period, and that may not be an issue. Enjoy your Moccamaster, they are great coffee makers!
Is it okay to make small amounts of coffee. I make myself a large mug (about 16 ounces) and I was wondering if it's okay to do this. I want to purchase this machine soon.

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
Is it okay to make small amounts of coffee. I make myself a large mug (about 16 ounces) and I was wondering if it's okay to do this. I want to purchase this machine soon.

If you choose one of the models with the Manual Drip-Stop, you can make either a full batch or half batch. Those models, and Technivorm's descriptions, are:

Moccamaster KB
Glass Carafe
Manual Drip-Stop 1.25 L / 40 oz / 10 cups

Moccamaster KBT
Thermal Carafe
Manual Drip-Stop 1.25 L / 40 oz / 10 cups

Moccamaster KBTS
Thermal Carafe
Manual Drip-Stop 1 L / 32 oz / 8 cups

So, depending on model, you can brew approximately 32/16 oz, or 40/20 oz.

This is what the Manual Drip-Stop looks like. You can see the the slider valve on the brew basket used to select a full-quantity brew or half-quantity brew. The Automatic Drip-Stop does not have that control. Closing the valve completely, when beginning a brew cycle, also allows you to include a bloom period in the brew cycle.

Manual Drip Stop.jpg

Last edited: