Question on Bean sources

ExpressoLatte

Apr 29, 2005
Visit site
hello everyone, I am new to here, and I might want to open a coffee shop in the future. However I didn't know anything about running a business. So I found this site and try to do some research for the future. please share your experience and help me thanks :D :lol:

my question for coffee shop owners,
Do you guys buy Green coffee beans and roast them by yourself or do you buy it from local roasters? or do you buy green coffee beans and let others roast them for you? and which way is cheaper? and you perfer it that way?

It really depends what you are trying to be E.L. If you want to be a cafe, then buying roasted beans from a wholesale roaster is not a bad option. Once you start moving in the direction of trying to get someone to contract roast for you (buy green- external partner roasts) or you start roasting yourself you are moving into the realms of roasting AND running a cafe. Putting cost aside...quality and freshness is best achieved by either using a very good local roaster or roasting yourself.

You say you have no experience running a business...do you have any hospitality industry experience? Owning a cafe means you yourself will spend a lot of time involved...on the floor and dealing with customers and staff- as well as product quality control etc. I know that everyone here would encourage you to explore your dream fully before commiting to following through on it. The coffee business is vastly rewarding for those of us lucky enough to be involved...but it is certainly hard yacker.

Good luck.

ExpressoLatte

Apr 29, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the great advise, AE. I knew that running a business will take a lot of efforts, time and energy. It might even end up with nothing after all hardwork I put in. However, I think the fun part is between the process no matter what the result will be.

By the way, opening a cafe is my plan for the next 10 or hopefully 5 years. I want to do a lot of research to prepare it for now. I am even thinking about to work at a local cafe shop, such as starbuck to get some experience before I try to open one myself.
I'll love to hear as many experience as possible from all the expert cafe owner here.
In fact, AE, you haven't told me which way you did. Do you roast your own beans? or buy from a roaster?

Hey EL. I am a roaster, so I am more involved in the downstream side of the coffee business. I have, however, spent quite some time in retail as well. I love both roasting and retailing but decided to focus my energies on roasting. Definatley you are doing the right thing here...meaning you have plenty of time to put together a plan as well as to get experience. Good luck.