Questions on using Westbend Popcorn Popper

bsell

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

I just purchased a West Bend Poppcorn Poppery II for roasting beans and I bought some green coffee beans to roast. This is the first time I have ever tried roasting, but I'm ran into some issues: According to Sweet Maria's, the roasting process should only take about 4 - 5 minutes to get to a City+ Roast, but I roasted for at least 10 minutes. I never heard the first crack. Should it be audible? Also there was no smoke or chaff. I put in a thermometer and it read 375. Is it not getting hot enough or should I be roasting longer?

I took the beans our and they sort of resembled a light roasted texture.

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I'm excited about roasting at home.

Thanks!!

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Hi bsell, welcome to the forum. There was another member here not so long ago,
inquiring about the Westbend Popcorn Poppery II. He was looking for advice on using
it for roasting coffee beans. His user name here is djveed and here is his info page:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=42047,
in case you'd like to contact him by private message.

Have fun roasting at home!!!

lachris

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Visit site
If you are in an area where it is cold, you may have to block the cold air or put the roaster in a box to trap some of the hot air. Also, what was the bean mass size. 4oz is a good starting point but really you need to be sure that the beans begin to spin in under 30 seconods without help. If they don't - help them some and if they won't you have too much bean mass. Us ethe plastic chute and monitor closely. Do not use an extension cord or a plug that has other higher power usage on the same circuit.

Good luck - it is a hobby that will take you places! Junk stores, farmers markets, coffee fest, hospital from the house burning down....

lachris