Quick Method to Remove French Press Grounds

Mitchoffee

Sep 3, 2020
Orange County, CA
Visit site
I love brewing with a french press. It is simple, cheap, and makes a great cup of coffee. The worst part is getting the used grounds out of the carafe when I am done. I have asked a bunch of people and baristas how they do it and they all just scoop it out with a spoon or ladle.

I am thinking about creating a receptacle that would sit at the bottom of the carafe to collect the grounds so you could easily remove them.

Is this something that already exists? That you would use? How much would you pay for it if it existed?

Thanks for responding with your thoughts!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Hate to say this but I saw something years ago at a convention. It was a silicone "cup" with magnets around the rim. Once you plunged it attaches to the press filter. When you pulled out the cup came with the press. Once it cooled you simply turn the cup inside out and the grounds come out easily. I did a quick google search and found this https://www.amazon.com/Rite-Essential-French-Patented-removable/dp/B07J5F2L7H . I wouldn't get discouraged. I am sure there is plenty of room in this market.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
No need to use a spoon or anything else for that matter. All I do is rinse off the plunger with hot water and vigorously dump the grinds from the carafe into the garbage which gets most of it out. I then just rinse it out before washing both with a sponge, dishsoap and hot water. I'm thinking a contraption is just one more thing to wash which sort of defeats the purpose. This approach has worked for me for years.

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
Having made coffee in a press pot for years, that "problem" never even registered with me. I cannot imagine a solution, that is another contraption, that would not be worse than the "problem." That said, being an entrepreneur and capitalist pig, I wish you well if you have an idea and bring it to market!

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Having made coffee in a press pot for years, that "problem" never even registered with me. I cannot imagine a solution, that is another contraption, that would not be worse than the "problem." That said, being an entrepreneur and capitalist pig, I wish you well if you have an idea and bring it to market!

:lol: :-D :)

Mitchoffee

Sep 3, 2020
Orange County, CA
Visit site
I wonder if that magnetic cup ever came to market. It seems like it would work, since the filter itself is metal. I will have to look around for that .Thanks for the link to the Rite Press! That seems like a good way to do it, but also that they could use some help with the quality of the product based on the reviews. Yikes!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Planetary Designs has a few models I would pick over the Rite Press any day unless the timer function was critical. Super easy to clean removable bottom. This is a pic of their new OVRLNDR - its a 'portable/travel' french press. It has a pretty slick system where you screw off the bottom and simply dumps the grounds. They are built like TANKS. All of their FP's have a brew top which helps reduce sediment.

Full transparency... I am a Planetary Design reseller but only resell Airscape products. I would carry these in a heartbeat if my market bought a lot of brewers from me.

IMG_2038.JPGIMG_2039.JPG

Apr 29, 2020
Visit site
I have a Secura Stainless Steel French Press. To dump the ground when I'm done brewing, I just add a little water, swirl around a bit, then dump grounds with water into the trash. What's left are some grounds mostly on the sides of the press, which I rinse out into the sink. Then I clean with water and dish detergent. I scrub with a 'Dobie' then fill the carafe half full with warm soapy water. I then rinse the filter/plunger assembly, then replace it back on top of the carafe, and plunge up and down 10-12 times. This forces warm soapy water through the filter and cleans all parts.
Finally, I rinse everything thoroughly, and dry.
Every couple of weeks, I completely disassemble the filter/plunger assy to clean any areas that plunging through soapy water cannot get to.

I suppose that with a Stainless carafe, it's a bit easier, as there is nothing to break.