Rancilio? Brasilia? La Marzocco?

Blue Monkey Too

Feb 11, 2005
Visit site
My partner and I are in the initial stages of opening a coffee house and we are looking for a reliable, efficient, quality, 2 group machine. Everyone has an opinion and it seems that everyone's opinion is different. Anyone know which is the best? And the best place to purchase?

You are certainly going to get a variety of suggestions here as many of the roasters onboard have allegiances to certain espresso manufacturers. My honest opinion on this is to sit down and go through what you are really looking for- apart from a reliable, efficient, quality 2 group machine! If you are going to be buying coffee from a specific roaster you should talk to them as well. Often they will be able to help you out on purchasing a machine- meaning if you buy from them you may get a machine at a good discount in return for signing up to a specific term with their coffee. All of the big names you have mentioned- plus Astoria, La Cimbali...etc are all good, reliable machines. You need to look at the very important extras- ask around other cafes regarding training, quality of service, reliblility issues etc. Remember the espresso machine is your lifeblood....the service provided by the local service reps can make or break you. Good luck.

everydaygourmet

Nov 15, 2004
Visit site
Blue Monkey Too said:
My partner and I are in the initial stages of opening a coffee house and we are looking for a reliable, efficient, quality, 2 group machine. Everyone has an opinion and it seems that everyone's opinion is different. Anyone know which is the best? And the best place to purchase?

as someone who made this decision (obviously many folks in here have made this decision) I would suggest going to the upper left hand corner of this page where it says "Search" and type in your machine choices name.....grab a cup of coffee, and start reading.

I did this at about every coffee/espresso related website I could find....ya I drank a lot of coffee.

The clear cut winner, and easy sell for me and my research.

La Marzocco Linea 3Gr. However the machines you listed (and their owners) will all present valid arguments for consideration.

Good luck to you in your decision process and venture.

Brealins_Sign.jpg

phaelon56

Sep 25, 2003
Syracuse NY
Visit site
Your budget may or may not dictate some aspects of the purchase decision. Also to be considered is support. If you're reasonably mechanical and willing to jump in and learn, most commercial espresso machines are relatively easy to maintain and repair.

From a support standpoint I consider ESI, the US distributor of La Marzocco, to be outstanding. If you buy froma qualified reselelr who has properly trained personnel you can expect a good experience. I can't speak to the other brands you mentioned simply because I lack perosnal experience. I do conisder the dual boiler design and the reliability of La Marzocco machines to be exceptional and consider them to be an excellent investment. Another machine that really impresses me by virtue of word-of-mouth feedback is the new kid on the block - the http://synesso.com Synesso Cyncra. It's built in the Seattle area, has the dual boiler design but also has a boiler preheat system and a PID controller for great temperature accuracy. The manufacturer has not been around for long but its a very impressive looking unit.