Recipes for various blends

Blending coffees can vary in expertise from my "Random Blend" (whatever is left over from various roasts that wasn't enough to make a whole bag of roasted single origin coffees) to people in Italy who are paid very large sums of money for their skills (according to Claudio, my Italian buddy).

I am starting this thread to encourage roasters to share their blend recipes.

I am not putting myself in the embarrassing position of offering any recipes.
Apart from my random blend and a Mokka-Java (50% Yemen, 50% Sumatran), I mainly sell single origin coffees.

I did find a good description of "blending basics" from Sweet Marias:
https://library.sweetmarias.com/blending/

Personally, I am looking for a recipe for a great espresso as I feel my single origin offerings just aren't good enough (Claudio is the first to agree upon this).

Here's hoping that the more skilled of us are willing to share their "secret sauce" .....

Thanks

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
For espresso, it really depends on the primary use - single shots or mixed with milk. For use in a milk-based drink, I like a Central American (Colombia / Guat) at about half of the blend... the second-largest coffee would be Brazil to add that richness and stand up to milk but still be smooth, and then a touch of Sumatra for crema development. I find there were so many variables its hard to give you a recipe and it turn out successful. I have to tweak my recipe a few percentages due to seasonal crop differences and processing variances.

From my highly subjective perspective, the moment you add milk, the flavor of the espresso becomes so muted you could use almost any passable beans.
My desire in an espresso blend is for unadulterated (no milk/sugar) shots of low acidity espresso (so that my friend Claudio won't complain).
Thanks

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Well, all flavor is subjective :)

I would stick with a base of Brazil - say 50% (sometimes that's too much) and fill with Centers... keep in mind a lot of Italian espresso blend has a small percentage of robusta which does change the flavor profile which is hard to replicate.