Recommend me a coffee maker and grinder!

Sales Manager

Jan 30, 2008
Memphis USA
Visit site
Combo brewers

Personally, I don''t like the idea of a combo brewer and grinder because inevitably one will wear out before the other. It is better to buy them seperate. You can get a BUNN home brewer and their BCG grinder for around a $100 each online.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Most of the grind-n-brew machines out there use crappy blade choppers for the grinder and they pretty much suck to be honest. Capresso and Krups both make nice drip machines and they offer models that incorporate conical burr grinders. Of course they cost more than what you were asking about, but the results would be night/day.

Regarding longevity, both should last an equal amount of time if proper care is taken. Later!

konafarmer

Dec 27, 2007
Hawaii
Visit site
I think I would seriously check out the Technivorm coffee machines before purchasing a coffee maker. The water temperature is right at 200 degrees F. Of course a good consistant grind will also be required for your brew. There were a few posts on the Technivorm that I would read also. I have no affiliation with Technivorm at this time. But I definitely would not recommend a grind and brew machine for great coffee.

late

Mar 2, 2008
Southern Maine
Visit site
Hi,
I recently got an Aerobie Aeropress and love it. It is cheap and makes great coffee.

Can''t help you with the grinder. Get a burr grinder that looks rugged.
Mine is ancient and they don''t make it any more.

Comet

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi ,
Mr. Coffee burr mill grinder $25.00 to $ 30.00.
Mr. Coffee 4 cup maker $20.00 to $30.00.
The Mr. Coffee maker makes 2 real cups of coffee @ 200 degrees and drink the coffee within 20 minutes. After 20 minutes coffee taste like crap.
Spend the rest of your money on beans.
Just my opinion!

djveed

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Mr Coffee??

Hello all! As I embark on this dark bean journey that I've come upon - I'm reaching out for suggestions between:

Capresso 560 Infinity Burr Grinder ($80)
Breville IKON Conical Burr Grinder ($100)
Mr. Coffee Burr Mill ($30)

Obviously, the Capresso or Breville are more expensive and better. But is it $70 better?? I'm a new Dad and we're on a single income and I have to decide between Mr. Coffee or my kid's college savings this month.

All joking aside though - is this Mr. Coffee Burr Mill any good for basic home use (perhaps 5-10 cups per week) and for a new coffee lover who's not too particular quite yet? The Capresso seems to be getting better reviews than the Breville. Any advice on which of these three?

coffeepotato

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
djveed,

The Capresso 560 Infinity and Breville IKON are both very good grinders for the price. I personally would go with Capresso (especially given the $20 difference).

Now, should you consider Mr. Coffee? I think that it depends on two things:

• The type of coffee maker you are getting: Some coffee makers are quite tolerant to uneven grind. Chemex coffee maker is probably the best in this respect - you can make a very decent coffee in the Chemex even with a cheap blade grinder. Other coffee makers like Moka pots or French press demand more uniform grind, so I would not go for Mr. Coffee in these cases.
  • The sort of coffee beans that you are planning to use: One problem with the cheap burr grinders is that they clog up very easily when you use oily beans. So if you are into dark roasts I would skip Mr. Coffee.

Another thing is that I would have some doubts about the durability of Mr Coffee grinder - the other two are likely to last you much much longer.

djveed

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Going with the Capresso...

Thanks so much coffeepotato. I do prefer a dark roast - so looks like I'll fork out the dough for the Capresso. I use a Breville Cafe Roma for my espresso.

Thanks!

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
i_baked_cookies said:
What I''m asking, basically, is what you would buy coffee-wise if I gave you 200 dollars.

I'd buy exactly what I did buy when I started drinking good coffee. A Capresso Infinity grinder & several different sized Bodum Chambord press pots. You could substitute a large Finum Filter for the press pots if you only drink a couple cups a day & spend the $90 you have left over on good fresh roasted beans/insulated travel mug/ect.

If you want to burn a few calories you could buy a Zassenhaus Knee Mill instead of the Capresso.

djveed

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
All drips are equal?

I can't imagine an expensive drip coffee system such as the NEWCO OCS-12 versus the free GEVALIA drip coffee maker I have taste much different. Perhaps there's a difference in temperature, but nonetheless its still drip coffee filtered through a (recycled) piece of paper.

So why the cost difference?

I'd rather buy a french press than upgrade on the drip maker (unless you can provide evidence otherwise).

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
Re: All drips are equal?

djveed said:
I can't imagine an expensive drip coffee system such as the NEWCO OCS-12 versus the free GEVALIA drip coffee maker I have taste much different. Perhaps there's a difference in temperature, but nonetheless its still drip coffee filtered through a (recycled) piece of paper.

So why the cost difference?

I'd rather buy a french press than upgrade on the drip maker (unless you can provide evidence otherwise).

The F/P will give you much more of the true coffee flavor but I'm curious which free Gevalia c/m you have. At one time they gave out the Mellita BCM 4c which is actually highly regarded & sought after now that its no longer produced. Either by sheer luck or by design the Mellita will give you 200-202*F brew water just like the Technivorm.