Recommendation for Green Bean Supplier & Roasting Machine

destinicafe

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi! Everyone.

I am opening a small cafe in Southern California. I want to try to roast the coffee beans myselfs. I want some recommendations on where to buy green beans and what "not so expensive" roaster to buy. If roasting turns out too hard, I may go back to buying roasted beans. Do you think that I could roast green beans myself? Any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Destini

Coffeeexpert

Jun 29, 2008
USA
Visit site
Hello Destini, you are going to need some training and practice before you jump into coffee roasting. You could end up spending a lot of money and producing coffee that doesn't taste as good as the coffee you are selling now. You should pick up Kenneth David's book- Home Coffee Roasting and visit the site sweetmarias.com You can purchase a home roaster and green beans at this website.

Some roaster manufactures may have you attend their training course, sell you a roaster and then pat you on the back and send you on your way but you can't learn how to be a good coffee roaster in a weekend.

Hello Destini. A decent (small) commercial roaster and all the other equiptment you will need will set you back probably around $20k. It is indeed a big investment for a new project. It is the reason why many cafes stick with buying roasted direct from a roaster...at least initially. I would agree with Coffeeexpert on this one. Better to perhaps play around with home roasting initially. In all a good roaster and packaging equiptment, degassing bins etc should be less that $1k easily. You can also get a wide range of green from Tom and then see what you like. If you go directly to an importer they would be loath to sell you small quantities.

destinicafe

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help.
BTW, who is Tom, the person that you referred in your reply from whom I could buy a small quantity of green beans?
How do I contact this person?
Thank you.
Destini

Undergrind Roasters

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
destinicafe said:
Thanks everyone for your help.
BTW, who is Tom, the person that you referred in your reply from whom I could buy a small quantity of green beans?
How do I contact this person?
Thank you.
Destini

Also at Sweet Marias, there are a ton of references, articles, and information on roasting. Go there first and learn some basic info, then look into DIY roasting and Professional Roasters.

Roasting is TOUGH and takes experience, knowledge, and skill. Good luck.