Recommendations wanted for shop grinder

Becca

Hi there,
My roastery is expanding and I am needing to acquire a new grinder. I am still a "micro" roaster, and will need to grind a couple hundred lbs a month. I have a tight budget (don't we all these days) and don't need a huge one. I am leery of purchasing used as I can't afford to put a big amount into it after a purchase and you never know how a piece of equipment has been used (abused). Any recommendations? Specs that I should make sure I know about?

Thanks a lot!

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
Becca,

True, brand new shop grinders can get very expensive. Buying a used grinder, unless you personally know the seller and the history of the grinder, can be a crap shoot. Most grinders, such as the Bunn G1, are pretty basic as far as the mechanics go.

My suggestion would be to buy a used one, and plan on buying a set of new burr grinders for it. Bunn tech help can assist you with that...it's not rocket science, I have done it myself. As long as the motor and wiring are good, it will grind coffee just a nicely as a new grinder!

Have fun!
Ellen

Becca

Thanks, Ellie. That is a good idea to get new discs or plan on sharpening if it is possible. As far as that type of grinder goes, are the Bunn and Grindmaster comparable, as far as you know? I have seen both and they look similar, but as we all know, it isn't in the "looks".

Becca
Becca's Beans Coffee Roasterie
Cortes Island, BC
Canada

ElPugDiablo

I second the used grinder with new burr suggestion. I use Ditting in both of my shops, I can recommend Ditting without reservation. If you are doing a few hundred pounds a month a 804 will fit nicely, but taking speed and future expansion into consideration, you may want to look into a 1203.

C

coffeeloverlisa

I am by no means an expert but I purchased a used Grindmaster on eBay and I have been very happy with it. My roaster came over and showed me, a nice Jewish lady with the finesse of Edward Scissorhands, how to take apart the mechanism and fine tune it if it misbehaves! These burrs can last for decades if they are not rusted out or abused.

The coolest part about my Grindmaster is it is RED. It looks amazing at trade shows if someone wants a half pound ground!

Cheers!

Lisa

carlos

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi Becca,

I can give you a great recommendation for a shop grinder and I have a question about a previous post, could you send me an email and I'll reply with the details. Thanks a lot have a great day!

Charlie
Island FT Coffee Co.
PEI
[email protected]

carlos

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
The grinder I'd recommend is the Grindmaster 890- its the top of the line Grindmaster and the big difference with it compared to other Grindmaster models is that it has the same burrs- same size & italian made- as the Mahlkonig $5000 grinder- it is warrantied for 35,000 lbs or 4 or 5 years which is pretty good. Its not the fastest but produces an excellent grind. I used to be on Vancouver Island so know a good place in Vancouver to get one at a good price.

Charlie
[email protected]