Reneka or Rancilio?

MontanaMama

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I have to get a new machine and these are the two machines that are constantly being recommended to me by sales people. I'd like to hear from owners and users which one is the best. :)

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
MontanaMama said:
I have to get a new machine and these are the two machines that are constantly being recommended to me by sales people. I'd like to hear from owners and users which one is the best. :)

Which models of each are you interested in? It looks like the Reneka offers 3 models, all of them higher end machines than the Rancilio Silvia.

I've got a Silvia and it's a good entry level machine but the Reneka machines are in a much higher class. The commercial Rancilios look to be in the same class. Are you asking about the Reneka vs. commerical Rancilio models?

MontanaMama

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
CCafe said:
Get the Rancilio. Easier to maintain and parts are readily available.

One of the local tech people that I talked to today, that also sells Rancilio, said the Renekas are harder to work on but he didn't say that the Reneka was not a good machine. So........ *bonkers* :-D

MontanaMama

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
mrgnomer said:
MontanaMama said:

Which models of each are you interested in? It looks like the Reneka offers 3 models, all of them higher end machines than the Rancilio Silvia.

I've got a Silvia and it's a good entry level machine but the Reneka machines are in a much higher class. The commercial Rancilios look to be in the same class. Are you asking about the Reneka vs. commerical Rancilio models?

Interested in the Reneka Viva II, the Rancilio Epoca and Rancilio 8E models.

I was told that the Epoca would be double the machine I have now (a 15 yr old La Pavoni) and would be a fine replacement.......but that the 8E had more bells and whistles and I'd be happier with that model.

Looks wise, I prefer the Rancilio 8E or the other two but do I need all the bells and whistles on that model?????

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Who ever showed you the 8 DE or 8 S skipped right over the 6 E and the 6 S.

The Rancilio 6 E 2 group with a 11lt boiler and 4300 watt element starts at $6,400 list price. The biggest difference is it looks a lot nicer then the Epoca, has dual gauges, and it not mostly plastic. The Epoca DE 2 group has the same boiler and element as the 6 E and list for $5,400.

The 8 DE has a Technological Steaming Control. ( TSC aka. computer controlled steam arm, that makes perfect cap foam and turns off at a predetermined temp.) Cimbali calls it a TurboSteam arm, Nuova Simonelli refers to it as a Smart Wand. Anyway you look at it, it does save time, produces the same consistent foam and temperature.

Pro’s: Ease of use, cuts training time for new employee’s, CONSISTANCY!
Con’s: If it breaks and no one knows how to froth on a manual steam arm, their kind of up the creek. You have to stay up on cleaning it or it can start to screw up.

The biggest thing that makes the 8 DE stand apart from the 6 E and the Epoca is that it is a Tall machine. You will be able to slip a 20 ounce cup under the group now. List price for 8 DE 2 group 11 liter 6000 watt element, $7,700.

There is also the 10 SDE. Comes in both silver and gold. (Gold’s $1,000 more) The 2 group 10 SDE has the same size boiler and element as the 6 E. Comes with 2 steam arms and 2 hot water taps and like the 8 DE comes with a display. This little guy list at $9,200.

Personally, I like the 8 DE just because it is a tall machine. For an extra $1,300 you get an element that is 1700 watts lager, it’s a tall machine, and it comes equipped with a TSC. But I would first recommend you look at the 6 E and see if that might fit the bill.

farmbooy

May 27, 2006
idaho
Visit site
because astoria , aka rio , has a long track record and is much better
built . i work on a lot of reneka's and i am not impressed. don't get
me wrong , it is ok for what it is , but you wont see it still pluging away
20 years down the road. maintenance on the portafilter gasket and shower
screen is a pain in the butt.