resting beans

lizzy

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
I had to go out of town. I roasted a lot of coffee, and have discovered that the coffee that was roasted a week and a half ago is tasting really nice. how long do you roasters feel is the "best" resting period for beans.

jlyon10

Super Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Clemmons, NC
Visit site
resting

What I have read and try to do is most beans should degas for 24hrs some beans longer, if you look at cupping notes they usually tell you how long. Then what you are supposed to do is not let the air get to them after that. Some places have bags with one way valves other roasters vacuum seal them. When you roast your own beans they are going to be a lot fresher than anything roasted you could buy any where so they would taste better any ways.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
I find coffee is best rested for 3 days after roasting, some coffees even like 4 or 5 days. Before that the flavours are not always fully developed and they can be a bit "lively" during extraction.

I personally don't believe it's the degassing that makes all the difference, I also think reactions continue within the bean, changing and adding flavour.

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
resting

Davec said:
I use very small chairs.........
Funny - That was Davec on "how to let beans sit", back in July.

During this resting period, are the beans sensitive to light and room temperature variances?

Is it important to keep them uncovered during the degassing?