RO filtration system...should I jump on a good deal?

mjs

Jan 5, 2015
Pittsburgh
Visit site
A local Starbucks location change has caused the old store to put their RO filtration system up for sale for $600. That seems like a really low price for a good system (a friend used to work at the store and tells me the system worked well for them). I'm at least 18 months out from attempting a dive into the deep end of roastery/shop ownership and haven't gotten into any filtration planning yet, but if the deal is too good to pass up, I might go ahead any buy the system.

I've searched around the forum a bit for filtration threads and it seems like RO might generally be too strong of a filtration system for proper extraction of espresso. Is filtraiton a strictly case by case thing that would potentially make me waste money on buying a discounted system right now, or is it something where the RO system can be tweaked to fit my needs in 18+ months? $600 just seems too good to pass up.

Thanks,
Matt

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
If they are dumping it for 600.00 then it is well used. What is it going to cost to replace the cartridges and membrane? Can these even be purchased still. How old is it? Make sure all parts such as pump and solenoids are replaceable.
Do you need an RO system? Have you had your water tested? An RO system strips the water of everything and then you need to re-mineralize it to get the proper ph and TDS.
Not really a great deal unless you know what you are purchasing. Have your water tested and see what is in it that has to be optimized and or removed. 18 months is stil a ways to go and you could probably get something new compared to what it might cost to resurrect that system

mjs

Jan 5, 2015
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Charlie,

Thanks for the reply. What you've said is pretty much what I suspected. Being at least 18 months out, I'm not to the point of really knowing my filtration needs. I've read about the need for remineraliztion with RO and would rather not go through all of the steps if I can avoid them. I guess what it comes down to is that I can/should save the money (and potential headache of part replacement) now and set up a filteration system that fits my needs later (when my needs are well established.

Matt