Roast Blends

ekimrayd

Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis, Mn
Visit site
I roasted equal parts Guatemalan Vista Hermosa Peaberry, Kenyan AA and a Sumatra Mandheling together. I didn't have enough for a full batch of the peaberry, so I just added a couple more to the mix to see what happens. I am new to roasting and have yet to try blends so this one may be horrible. Anybody mix the Peaberry with the bigger beans? Does it work? I am gonna try it tomorrow morning. :-D

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
if you are going to try and blend them..post blend it. The blend will be much more uniform in color...pet peeve of mine...it is ColOmbian no U in it :p

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Ha ha...is this a roasting forum or spelling bee? I couldn't resist :D In any case LC is right try using a little Brazil or Colombian in your blend. You will find that they balance things out fairly well. Also consider the strength of each single origin, you may need to adjust the amounts of each until you achieve balance.

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
I was almost going to be serious...then I read you're using an AeroRoast!?! Okay, okay, let me calm down...relaxing and breathing...okay....

First of all, premium beans are great on their own - you can actually enjoy them without blending. If you ARE going to blend, you need to understand the nuances of the beans and approach blending logically.

Topher made a good point about post-roast blending. Usually that makes good sense for the reason he mentioned. But the idea is to roast each type of bean to perfection and then blend. I'm not sure you have enough control over the roast to achieve that.

If you are serious about roasting, save your dimes and by a YM-2 or similar roaster. Do some "real" roasting and blending. I'm sure that is going to draw fire, no pun intended. But you'll find that if you use a good roaster and a couple of quality beans in a blend, you'll be really happy.

Simple is good. La Crema suggested Colombian and Brazilian...good choices. Heed the advice of those who have experience. Good luck. Happy roasting.

ekimrayd

Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis, Mn
Visit site
Does roast-blending the same beans at different roast profiles make up for the different tastes you lack or gain? Having a light roast and a dark roast of the same bean and blend them.

ElPugDiablo

ekimrayd said:
Does roast-blending the same beans at different roast profiles make up for the different tastes you lack or gain? Having a light roast and a dark roast of the same bean and blend them.
There are roasters doing dark and light blend of same coffee. It doesn't matter if the blend is same beans at different darkness, or multiple origins, the main reason to do a blend is that the sum is greater than the parts.