Roast Profiling Programs

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm looking for a roast profiling program. All I can find are monthly subscription ones. Last time I was looking for one, you could just purchase it outright for around $1k, and install it on your computer. Are there any companies that still do this? I roast 300 to 500 lbs a week, depending on demand, and use a 91 Diedrich with a been probe I installed in the door, to monitor and log by hand bean temps every minute.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

jimbo

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Thank you musicphan. I also just found an ipad app called roastmaster which is a paid app. will have to do some research on these.

N3Roaster

Feb 29, 2016
Racine, WI
Visit site
As mentioned up thread there are still options aside from subscription services. There are the free options (I'm biased toward Typica since I wrote that) and there are still some paid options such as Roaster Dynamics which I believe is something that you just buy outright. Most roaster manufacturers have something you can buy with varying ease of retrofitting into older machines. In the case of the free options you'll still generally need to buy some data acquisition hardware and install that, but that's easy on most commercial roasters that already have a well placed thermocouple. Lately I've been recommending the Phidgets 1048 for that since it works on Mac/Windows/Linux, is reasonably priced ($100 plus a little more if you need the enclosure), allows connecting up to 4 thermocouples, and it works with several different programs including both Artisan and Typica as well as subscription services Cropster and RoastLog so if you start with one thing and decide you'd prefer something else there are options that don't require replacing the hardware.

empeg9000

Jul 15, 2014
East Greenbush, NY
Visit site
I also us Typica combined with a Phidgets 1048 and it works amazingly well. Typica is also great at helping you keep track of inventory and projecting out when you might need to order more. I used to always order coffee too soon. N3Roaster is also great about answering questions about Typica.