roaster is HEAVY

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
from the roaster to 3' above the roof line with Selkirk was 2K for my setup.
But that also comes with a peace of mind.

sdcoffeeroaster

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
chast said:
from the roaster to 3' above the roof line with Selkirk was 2K for my setup.
But that also comes with a peace of mind.

Did you have someone install it for you? So that's about 22 feet plus another 8 feet or so? 30 feet (if that's right) for about $2K is less than Terry Davis suggested it might cost. I think he mentioned about $100 per foot. I'm installing it myself in my shed with only 30" of c2 pipe right out the wall using the selkirk parts. It will be easy to clean and the smoke will end up mostly in my yard.

I hardly every hit 2nd crack and it's a small roaster, IR 2.5 or an IR3 if I can find a used one. I think I might have more of a smoke issue if I went thru the roof and the smoke would immediatly end up blown next door. The neighbors never open their windows so that's a good thing but I don't want to create a problem for my neighbors. I keep them supplied with free coffee and they know to tell me if the smoke is ever an issue. I've been using the BBQ roaster for awhile with 3.5 -5 lb loads and not had any complaints yet. Still, I'm always one complaint from being shut down.

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
another night of clandestine roasting with propane bottle and horizontal pipe out the door after hours. I have the triple wall, insulated pipe in boxes in my car, I sure hope the actual installation will begin tomorrow. We found simpson duraplus and it was determined to be class A pipe by the state inspector. I hope they don't change their mind after it is installed!

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
the 60" length was under 200.00 but the price will depend on your rep. I forget the discount fee I received. The C2 to C1 was not intentional. I ordered a lateral C1 T and elbow but Selkirk shipped a C2. I only had to pay the C1 price. I want to say 192.0 for a 60" Stainless/Alum C1 with the rings, covers and insulation.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Pitched roof.
I am in a space type building that has a pitched roof with ribs. I did not use Selkirks plate for the exit pipe. I purchased a flexible type rubber ( not sure of the material) to form on the slope of the roof that the pipe was exiting. The piece cost me 50.00. Never had a leak.
Hope this helps
Charlie

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Here are a couple of more pics of the install.
Boring but better than vacation movies!!
The pic of the clamp will show how it is connected. First one was a real pain but once you learned the trick it was easy.

sdcoffeeroaster

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Very nice job. So is that a US roasters like Debbie's or a 5 kg? How do you like it. For various reasons, I'm starting to consider something other than Diedrich. Seems like no roaster is perfect but I want to get something that I can keep for awhile and grow into and the 3 kg US roaster looks like such a beast.

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
it looks great! thanks for the info. did you install it in a commercial location? because I'm trying to install in my shop, all kinds of inspectors are lining up at the door. (in a manner of speaking)

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
I did install it in a commercial location but when I move it into a retail it will be the same pipe.
You can have your roaster at 450 degrees and the outside of that pipe will be cool to touch.

It is ideal for situations where people are around it and could get burnt, outside pipe stays at ambient temp. It is also good for 2000 degrees in case you have a internal fire. The fire dept will respect that!!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Have you had any problem with exhaust backing up on you? That looks like a huge distance from the roaster to the roof. I had a problem once where the wind blowing down caused a pocket that the exhaust couldn't "push" through. I ended up having to purchase a fan that was installed at the top of the exhaust pipe. After it was installed I had no issues. Your lucky they haven't said anything about needing an afterburner :wink:

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
here is a link for the Selkirk Metalbestos IPS pipe I used:
http://www.selkirkcorp.com/commercial-a ... spx?id=226

Topher, I asked Dan at US Roasters and he said that length was fine for the fan that is already in the roaster. No back up problems yet, been over a year. He said over 30 feet he would have to install a larger fan.

The pic makes it look higher. From the top of the lateral T it is 15' to the ceiling then I have another 60" piece coming through the roof.

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm at a standstill. one contractor cut his hand badly (not on my job) and seems to be out of commission. the second contractor can't get to my job till next week. and no one has the same answer on the pipe.
class a: agreed. the triple wall I bought, I learned is not approved for use inside. it draws too much air out of the room to insulate the pipe. another double wall isn't class a. I am ready to give up and bring it home. but even moving it again is overwhelming. I had a guy come out today and say he'd move it if we took the motors off. not going to do that, even though it can be done. :(

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... sters&aq=f

Deb, check out these links on You Tube. This couple purchased a 3Kilo from Dan and set it up inside their coffee shop which is really small. Ask them what they used for pipe.
The Selkirk I used is allowed indoors because it is a grease pipe especially designed for industrial/commercial kitchens.

You went out and purchased pipe, did a contractor tell you that could be used?
Contractors, as far as I am concerned, if they never heard of something or cannot make a buck from it they will knock it someway or another.

Maybe you should contact your building inspector/fire dept ask them what they want you to use. I can put Selkirk pipe in my own kitchen and it would be over kill. I sent you the link for their specs. Show it to the inspector and if they say ok then you are all set.

When setting up my roaster I found nobody knew anything about them and were pulling answers out of the air, and they were all wrong.

Every town is different for codes
Good Luck
Charlie

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi, and thanks so much for the continued interest! I know everyone is at least as busy as I am, probably more so. I'll try to be concise. the town requires a state mechanical inspection of the install. the fire dept and the state inspector require a licensed contractor/plumber/hvac person do the install.

the state inspector wants the manufacture's recommendation for installation.

the manufacturer recommendation is installation to meet or exceed local codes, and recommends Class A pipe.

I think that the state does not know what it's codes are for a coffee roaster. I think most roasters just put them in.

after a day or two of phone calls back and forth, it was determined by the state inspector and the contractor, that simpson dura vent made a class A triple wall pipe, available locally, that would meet the requirements/codes. However, after I purchased the pipe, I realized there was no fitting made to penetrate the roof with this pipe, called simpson, who manufactures the pipe and they said the triple wall pipe is not safe for that use, and I needed a class a double wall pipe.

the closest selkirk dealer told me it would be 8-10 WEEKS until I could get their pipe. and I think the pipe they are referring to is positive pressure commercial pipe. and I think it is overkill. but I don't know. he also was supposed to send me price quotes, and has not yet.

I think at this point the question is what double wall pipe qualifies as "Class A" and do I need positive pressure pipe?

I have another contractor coming next week, I wish I'd waited for him in the first place. he is more knowledgeable, he is less intimidated by the state inspector, more likely to say "this is what we need", and have the inspector go along. His first suggestion was to just put it in and deal with the inspectors afterwards. but I don't want to pay for installation and get in trouble next fire inspection, or have it be the wrong pipe for the roaster to work well.

I've been roasting for 4 years in a metal shed with single wall stove pipe. I didn't know it would be this involved.

but the coffee I'm roasting at night is good, I think the best ever.