Roaster purchase???

jdandtracy

Sep 24, 2006
Colorado
Visit site
Hello...
We are about to open a retail coffee shop. We have a great deal of experience with coffee shops, but have absolutely no experience with roasting. We are in the planning stages of our constuction and want to include a roasting room and facilities to support a roaster. We are seeking advice for what roaster to purchase... I know that is a wide open question, but we are just looking to hear what people enjoy working with. We are looking for a 5-10 lb per batch roaster...
Thanks in advance...
JD Anderson

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Everyone has their own preference. I use Ambex and Toper. I have used Probat, Deitrich and royal…I am going to stick with Ambex and Toper…I feel most comfortable with these machines and the pricing is way less expensive. This is only my 2 ¢ If you have any questions on the machines I use send me a PM. Maybe La Crema or coffeeguy will chime in. Anyway…good luck!

Don't know too much about Ambex, but yes Toper roasters are both well built and well priced. I know Topher has much more inside info on distribution in the USA, including what training programmes are offered with a new roaster (although I am sure he did not need to take advantage of such an offer when his pack of new roasters was deliverd last year!)

O.k, I'm La Crema too....that being said....I LOVE the IR burners on the IR3, and the TOTAL control, and reduced emissions and the more efficient burning. I havnn't used any other roasters so This is very subjective, however maybe it's the 2 years or chemisty, or the 3 years of biology, of that crappy physics class in thermodynamics or maybe even that BS in Environmental Science I got . All I know is that I like the technology and the roaster works like a dog, producing fantastic coffee. My .02. Thanks Topher for getting my attention..... :wink:

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
I use a Diedrich IR24, great roaster. The IR means infra-red. They are tiles which distribute the heat evenly across the roasting drum. I've only used the Diedrich since they built it for us, however, before we had it built a number of years ago, my partner and I did research on others including the Ambex, Sivetz, and a few others. We found that the Diedrich was the easiest for us to understand at the time. It's still a great roaster for us today. They have great customer and technical support, and in most cases can talk you through over the phone on issues that may pop up from time to time, especially with the first timer :wink: Additionally they have a roasting class in Idaho where they manufacture the roasters. I would highly recommend attending their class even it you don't buy a roaster through them. My partner and I learned quite a bit initially and the information was fairly basic and easy to retain. As you become more experienced, you can tweak things a bit. Or if all else fails you can always ask our local guru Topher for a helping hand... :D

johng99

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Although the roaster question is important, it is only one of many that you will need to answer as you look into roasting. I strongly suggest that you talk to your local planning/zoning departments and any other city/county officials that you feel appropriate so that you know what they will require with your installation. How much will you roast per day? Where will you vent? Does your city have smoke/odor ordinances? Is the fire department OK with your installation? Etc., etc.
I am really happy that we included roasting in our operation. I use on old cast iron roaster and get very good results (as I am told by our customers). Everything is manual, but this was my choice, and it is the way I approach most things (I designed automation systems in a past life and have my own opinions on approaching automation). I designed the installation myself, the installation was approved by our city, but I am an engineer that has done this type of work before.
Your choice in roasters will depend upon your personal preferences, as all of the names mentioned here make very good products capable of good roasts. Some have their quirks, which you may or may not like, depending upon your personal style. Parts availability, maintenance assistance, etc. are all important, and may be more important depending upon how mechanically inclined you are.
Good Luck
John

rshotty3

Nov 17, 2006
Visit site
If you have not gotten roaster yet I have one/Diedrich IR-12

This is a used coffee roaster that is in very good condition. it was used in a Bennagin's Bar and grill. This machine retails for 19,000 New. A great item for someone opening a new shop. below are some of the specs.

MODEL IR-12
Single Roast Range 1-30 lbs / 175 gr - 12 kg
*Hourly Roast Output
(maximum Ibs/kgs) 103 lbs
48 kg
Roaster Weight Empty (lbs/kgs) 960 / 437
Floor Bearing Weight with maximum load of beans (lbs/kgs) 990 / 450
Floor Space Required includes exhaust air outlet. (inches/centimeters) 29 X 58
73.7 X 147.3
Roaster Overall Height with
funnel (inches/centimeters) 76 / 193
Roaster Overall Length with exhaust outlet (inches/centimeters) 42 / 106.6
Roaster Overall Width
(inches/centimeters) 30.5 / 77.47
Gas Consumption- BTU/HR 45,000
Electrical supply- Volts AC 110
Amperage 13
Exhaust Duct Air Flow-
CFM at 1" static pressure 290
Exhaust Duct Diameters
(inches/centimeters) 6.0 / 15.24
*Based on maximum load every 16 min. at 425 degrees F for 15% weight loss.

PICTURES UPON REQUEST.