Roaster Variance In Massachusetts

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Finally received the variance to operate my roaster, what a joke this state is. All about the mighty dollar! If the manufacturer wants their roasters listed on the Mass Gas approved appliance list, they need to send in all test and engineering info along with a check for 150.00. Once approved by the board, the roaster is listed and it is a clean sweep into opening up and receiving the plumbing/gas permit. Now if the manufacturer does not pay again when the payment is due, they take you off the list and the person trying to get his permit cannot because know the roaster is not listed. I guess the first approval is good for 3 years@ 150.00 then every year after that they need to cough up another 150.00. No money no listing. What goes up my azz is the machine has been approved to meet all of the CMR codes and standards and once approved it should be permanently listed. But this state wants their pound of flesh just because. The variance process is quite easy so long as you have an engineer that isn't going to rape you money wise, other than that it is mostly documentation. The board sends you a check list and you need to answer questions that only pertain to your project, the engineer needs to evaluate the machine for safety and also the knowledge of the operator. Most plumbing inspectors in this state do not even know what a roaster is and some start looking to deep and the words "afterburner" start bouncing around in their heads. So anyone in MA who is looking to buy a roaster and wants to have no surprises, make sure it is listed or be prepared to go through the variance process. Oh and the best part of all is If decided to move my roaster across the street to another building, I have to start the process all over. The variance is only good for the original location. I would like to know how many roasters in this state went through this process! I was basically told I was the sacrificial lamb! #darkcloudoverhead