Roasters in Western Wisconsin

zander3

Nov 8, 2006
WI
Visit site
I hope this is the right forum. My question is, I plan to open a coffee shop in Western Wisconsin and if I could get a local roaster or close to it I could keep it as a local product, and use it for advertisement. Any body with any knowledge of roasters in WEstern Wisconsin I would like to hear from you. Thank you for your time..

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Why do you want to advertise another company's products? Would it not be better to build your own brand?

If there is no known coffee roaster in your region of interest, I do not see how you will benefit form advertising your affiliation with that company.

zander3

Nov 8, 2006
WI
Visit site
I will not have the room to roast the beans so I thought if I could find a local roaster we both would benefit from each other.

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
I understand that you will not be roasting yourself. Regardless of where you purchase your roasted coffee from, what is the benefit to of promoting another's brand when that brand is clearly not known in your area?

How exactly do you benefit from this arrangement? Would it not be better to private label coffee purchased under your own brand?

ElPugDiablo

Don't know any in WI, but these three are top notch roasters in the country,
Paradise Roasters in Anoka MN, Intelligentsia Coffee, and Metropolis Coffee both in Chicago. Before I roast myself, Paradise Roasters was my roaster, and I would recommend them without any reservation. All three should be more than willing to help you set up your shop, and provide training if needed.

zander3

Nov 8, 2006
WI
Visit site
I am learning as I go. I am not trying to get under your skin so if my answers make no sense it is because I am learning. I thought if I bought roasted coffee from lets say Folgers, I assumed I had to call it that because it came with that name. Thank you for sheding light. This sight is opening my eyes every day. Thank you....

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
Don't know any in WI, but these three are top notch roasters in the country,
Paradise Roasters in Anoka MN, Intelligentsia Coffee, and Metropolis Coffee both in Chicago.

I agree 100% - all outstanding!

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
zander3 said:
I am learning as I go. I am not trying to get under your skin so if my answers make no sense it is because I am learning. I thought if I bought roasted coffee from lets say Folgers, I assumed I had to call it that because it came with that name. Thank you for sheding light. This sight is opening my eyes every day. Thank you....

No problem! Remember, you have total control over your business and in most cases, your brand is all that your customers will need to know - be certain to not restrict yourself by signing some agreement otherwise.

Best regards,

Andrew

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
ourcoffeebarn said:
Email me. We are in Spring Valley WI and we are a growing coffee roasting and equipment "Mom and Pop" biz.

You sell "old" coffee on your website?

http://ourcoffeebarn.com/estore/index.php?cPath=21_181

Would it not be better to donate your stale leftovers to some charity or overseas military? Selling known substandard product seems like a risky proposition for any small company that wishes to remain competitive today - particularly against any of the roasters mentioned in the posts above.

ourcoffeebarn

Nov 8, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site

It's "Day Old" just like a Bakery has. Literally a day after roasting,(How old is that!) I list the coffee that is left as a "Day Old" listing. It is NOT stale. I have picked up many VERY Happy customers from them buying from this section. If you did notice, I fully disclose the fact that this coffee is just not roasted as ordered.

And besides that since when is it a crime to pass on some huge savings to my customers.

I do donate coffee, but that is none of your concern what I do with my charitable donations.

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
ourcoffeebarn said:

And besides that since when is it a crime to pass on some huge savings to my customers.

I do donate coffee, but that is none of your concern what I do with my charitable donations.

I did not intend to question your charitable nature; but rather, I was taken aback by your choice to knowingly allow less than optimum product to be sold to paying clients under your brand name - at any price.

"Day Old" is not the sort of descriptor that is positively associated with a specialty food business: more of a "surplus furniture outlet" or "bargain basement warehouse" term. Over time, customers that are attracted to price over quality will leave your company for another supplier. (unless you keep dropping the price)

Besides, if these coffees are truly one (1) day out of the roaster, what is the benefit to you of advertising or selling them as less valuable? Do you not allow your coffees to degas for at least 3-5 days before use? Why bother creating a second class of product at a lower profit margin?

You may be unaware of this, but your pricing structure and advertising text imply to the customer that coffees roasted the same-day are better than coffees roasted one day prior; which, of course, they are not.

Additionally, your website projects the image that you will sacrifice quality in order to have cash in-hand by selling your leftovers. ...now, this may not be the case and is probably not your intended message, but I thought that you should be aware that this is what the casual observer thinks of your business when reading the material on your website.

If in your position, I would want someone to tell me.

ourcoffeebarn

Nov 8, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
I may reword the category description a bit. I am looking at this section as added profit from the same amount of work. I roast with a small 5 lb per batch roaster and most of my batches were only 2 or 3 lbs each of fresh roasted varieties or blends. I try to fill up my roaster to get at least 3.5 lbs out at a time to get an optimal roast, I needed a market for the "leftovers" hence the "day old section" started up! It may not be needed in the future but right now it helps pay the bills and gives my customers a good deal too!!!

Thanks for the advice.