Roasting & Recipe Help Please

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
PinkRose,

It looks like I exaggerated a bit.

Price today is 1.64 euro per LITER ( a liter is 33.3 oz, a quart is 32 oz) So multiply 1.64 x 4 and you get 6.56 euros. Multiply that by 1.3 to get today's exchange rate and that 6.36 euros becomes $8.53. Adjust that for a US gallon (128 oz) and your drive out price per gallon is (drum roll please) $8.21 per gallon.

Hankua

Nov 11, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
(copied from Homebarista)
by Runaro on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:40 am

Myself and a fellow Toper Cafemino Gas owner, Tony from South Africa, recently modified our roasters to increase the ability to control the temperature during roast. So far I am very pleased with the mod, it was fairly inexpencive, easy to implement and in combination with the Artisan roasting software it gives me total control of the roast profile
icon_biggrin.gif
. The mod consist of a needle valve and a low pressure manometer installed between the Honeywell gas regulator and the burner (see picture). The gas regulator input is 30 mbar and with the needle valve I am able to control the gas pressure to the burner from max and down to 2 mbar. The flame is burning with a nice blue flame at any settings and so far there is no soot on the drum so I believe the combustion is OK. I have always found it difficult to control the temperature profile with the air valve, now I mainly keep it at a constant setting during roast to eliminate chaff and smoke. The needle valve control is very responsive and easy to use. I can recommend this mod to all Cafemino roasters.

9172_gas_mod.jpg

Runaro Posts: 13Joined: Nov 18, 2010Location: NorwayReal Name: RunarEquipment: La Marzocco GS3 - Compak K10 WBC - Toper Cafemino

intelligenc

Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
Hi Hankua

what type of device did you use for this mod.

thank you

(copied from Homebarista)
by Runaro on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:40 am

Myself and a fellow Toper Cafemino Gas owner, Tony from South Africa, recently modified our roasters to increase the ability to control the temperature during roast. So far I am very pleased with the mod, it was fairly inexpencive, easy to implement and in combination with the Artisan roasting software it gives me total control of the roast profile. The mod consist of a needle valve and a low pressure manometer installed between the Honeywell gas regulator and the burner (see picture). The gas regulator input is 30 mbar and with the needle valve I am able to control the gas pressure to the burner from max and down to 2 mbar. The flame is burning with a nice blue flame at any settings and so far there is no soot on the drum so I believe the combustion is OK. I have always found it difficult to control the temperature profile with the air valve, now I mainly keep it at a constant setting during roast to eliminate chaff and smoke. The needle valve control is very responsive and easy to use. I can recommend this mod to all Cafemino roasters.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Not sure if it would work but I installed a Maxitrol EXA modulating valve on my USRC Roaster and it made a world of difference in gas adjustment. I have a blend I have been doing for years and it is my best sale. I have read the argument about pre and post blending and as I have always post blended, I decided to pre-blend. Excellent results with a slightly different effect to the taste buds.
You have a 10kg Roaster and you are charging with 10kg of beans? I charge a little less than 80% and found I have better control of my roasting. I do not use profiling software. My only tool at the end is a Javalytics color Analyzer. My customer base enjoys a medium dark/dark roast. I cannot give away the light medium roasts which prevents me from purchasing certain beans. Here is what I do for a basic roast gas wise. Charge the roaster and turn down the flame to almost out for 45 seconds, then full. Damper is set at 1/4 at 350 I open the damper at 1/2 way and depending how the roast is going maybe lower the gas a bit or not. First crack I open the damper all the way and cut the gas in half. To get my desired time I kick the gas up as needed. My drop temps are between 435 and 440. As you know every Roaster is different. I also have a charge temp of 400. Maybe as a side line pick up some quality Assam tea and offer it. We sell loose leafed teas along with whole/ground beans.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Sounds like a plan! I have a new batch arriving in August which I will use for your. These need to be roasted a medium so it will be a practice run for me. So I would send you my normal with a new test batch. But maybe start a new thread as it seems Expat is losing his thread