Roasting Reference

BikerGar

Dec 12, 2004
Visit site
I am new to roasting and am having trouble hearing first and second crack. I am using the I-Roast and it is very noisey, combined with my, as my women puts it, my inability to hear makes stopping the roast at the right place difficult. Is there a publication that has true pictures of the various degrees of roast? I have tried downloading pictures but found the colors to be not true.

BikerGar

BikerGar

Dec 12, 2004
Visit site
NW JAVA said:
have you tried using temp as a reference as to when to expect the 1st and second? Do you know what I'm talkinga bout? This is not a dig, just trying to know reference point.

As far as the I-Roast goes it gives a temp, but I believe it is the air at the heat coil being measured, not bean temp. I am not using a stand alone thermometer. If I should be using one do you have a recomendation?
What I was originaly looking for was a color chart to match my roast color to the established standard for roast color.

As far as a dig I'm so new at this I wouldn't know the difference. :D

Thanks
BikerGar

BikerGar

Dec 12, 2004
Visit site
NW JAVA said:
would it be possable to inster a bbq replacment therometer into the roasting chamber?

I think I can work something out using a thermometer.

Can I assume that bean temp not bean color is the critical factor in roasting?

BikerGar

Dec 12, 2004
Visit site
I just purchased the Kenneth Davids book and the roast style reference guide is very good. It appears the original book had the SCAA Color tiles, the revised does not. Is there a poster or publication that contains these color tiles?

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
The color tiles are the SCAA/Agtron classification system. You might search the web to see if anyone has an online chart.

The color, aroma and sound of the roasting process are all crucial factors. I'm still learning! But don't overlook time. I keep a roasting log and use a stop-watch when I'm roasting. I think your home roaster is rather consistent as far as temperature control, so perhaps you could keep a log and use time as the best reference. Take notes on each batch and determine what works best.

Keep in mind, though, that different varieties of beans have different moisture content. So, over several different beans, your roast time will vary.

BikerGar

Dec 12, 2004
Visit site
BeanGrinder said:
The color tiles are the SCAA/Agtron classification system. You might search the web to see if anyone has an online chart.

The color, aroma and sound of the roasting process are all crucial factors. I'm still learning! But don't overlook time. I keep a roasting log and use a stop-watch when I'm roasting. I think your home roaster is rather consistent as far as temperature control, so perhaps you could keep a log and use time as the best reference. Take notes on each batch and determine what works best.

Keep in mind, though, that different varieties of beans have different moisture content. So, over several different beans, your roast time will vary.

Thanks for the reply. I have searched for a chart to no avail, borrowed a stethoscope, used a stopwatch, smelled the smoke, and used color. All the stethoscope does is make the I-Roast louder. :grin: I am not far enough along to use aroma. I am using a log to document my roast profiles and time. I am having very good luck from full city and darker using the descriptions from the Ken Davids book. Anything lighter is hit and miss due to the lack of a visual on the oils. In spite of this I am having fun and getting some great coffee.

Looks like you and I are in for a little winter tonight. I am just up the road from you in Crossville, Tn.

Shadow4173

Feb 12, 2005
Massachusetts
Visit site
I also use the I-Roast. At first it was tough for me to hear the 1st and 2nd cracking of the beans. I find that using the preset 1 option to be the best. Let it run until about 20 seconds left then hit the cool button. This way, your beans will be at the cinnamon to french roasted stage. A select few beans may not be fully roasted, but I find that it adds to the flavor of the brew.

BikerGar

Dec 12, 2004
Visit site
Shadow4173 said:
I also use the I-Roast. At first it was tough for me to hear the 1st and 2nd cracking of the beans. I find that using the preset 1 option to be the best. Let it run until about 20 seconds left then hit the cool button. This way, your beans will be at the cinnamon to french roasted stage. A select few beans may not be fully roasted, but I find that it adds to the flavor of the brew.

Shadow, thanks for the response. Reading the I-Roast threads people talk about inconsistency from machine to machine. My first roast I used preset 1 and SM Monkey Blend. I stopped the roast with 2 minutes left and had charcoal. I have either a hot machine, high voltage or both. I am now stopping my roasts based only on visual and amount of oil on the bean and for my taste it is working well.