Roasting Single Origin for espresso?

LiftOff

Nov 3, 2004
Arizona
Visit site
They sound good! I'd like to give them a shot, so to speak.

Tried a friends Guat yesterday...not what I expected but still not bad, I'll use it in a blend without a doubt

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
Hello Alun , i found you.
Im about to find out about the Elimbari, im having some sent to me .Hope its good.
Same with the Irian :;)
Another fantastic SOS for espresso ive always loved and iuts very mush underated is the Ugandan 'White Nile'.
Coffee is never bad unless the quality of the coffees are not great. Its not made properly or the equipment isnt tuned. Its all individul taste.
Also Italian coffees are very basic. They use mainly Centrals, southerns and maybe an Ethiopian or a Kenyan for complexity cos traditionally thats all they knew.
The world fof coffee is vast so its important to remove the shutters.

Hey, hey Chris! I am everywhere huh! :grin: You should have asked me if you wanted some Elimbari...still have some smple packs I raided from the PNG Coffee Assoc stand at the Singapore Coffee and Tea Exhibit. As for the Irian wamena...guaranteed to be good :wink: ! Sorry have not had much of a chance to catch up on the emails...owe you one still!

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
NAh, thats no problem ive been away.
I just found this place saw you in it so registered.
Hows an East meets West blend sound with the Elimbari and Irian?

The compan is meant to be sending me some Elimbari green. A guy buy the name of Jerry.
Im a huge fan of the PNGs as you know and theres a heap of Sigri around Australia but not much Elimbari.I hate offering the same stuff as everyone else so im hoping the Elimbari will be as good.
The Irian im confident about.

ourcoffeebarn

Nov 8, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
I just found a 20lb bag of Timor Organic that I bought last year to sample roast for a unique espresso origin and I forgot about it. I roasted some on Sunday night to a medium dark espresso roast and it is GREAT!

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
Too right! in my opinion the Timor Maubesse is one of the very best coffees going around.
Strong aroma great body and a fantastic coffee to drink espresso or drip.
Silky smooth with a heap of flavour,

Chris is right. Some of the East Timor coffees are very good. I will throw all caution to teh wind by saying they could be even better! East Timor isstill recovering from the 1999 independence catastrophe. There are many smaller growers there who are not exporting or who have just walked (orbeen forced) off their planations. Give it another 2-3 years and we will begin to see coffee coming out of there from small coops and producers. Tim-Tim coffee certainly has a great future.

ron45

May 4, 2005
New Mexico
Visit site
Hi Alun, I noticed you made reference to the grind being important in single source espresso. How does it differ from what one would use in a blend. I got introduce to single source by a fortunate error. Someone brought me some beans they said were espresso which were a nice brown color and I loved it. Turns out it's a Brazilian coffe, Baggio Estate Platinum. Someone on this list found the web site for me and I plan to get some more. I want to get the most out of it so would you go coarser or finer than normal? [ if there is such a thing ]

Ron

pstam

Jan 7, 2005
China
Visit site
ron45 said:
Hi Alun, I noticed you made reference to the grind being important in single source espresso. How does it differ from what one would use in a blend. I got introduce to single source by a fortunate error. Someone brought me some beans they said were espresso which were a nice brown color and I loved it. Turns out it's a Brazilian coffe, Baggio Estate Platinum. Someone on this list found the web site for me and I plan to get some more. I want to get the most out of it so would you go coarser or finer than normal? [ if there is such a thing ]

If it is arabica, suggest to grind coarsely and brewed by drip coffee. Using espresso machine may kill most of its flavours and tastes.