Roasting Style/temperatures

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
Guys I am new in the fresh roasting shop business. So I am very interested to talk to guys like you about the roasting.
here I have some questions, Please answer if you find time:
1) I read that roasting temperature is 220 C, me I hot machin up to 185 C and drop coffee, first crack occurs at 163-5 C (depending on coffees) and second one begins at 175-6 C. in 15-17 minutes it reaches my very dark roast. Am I doing anything wrong? Or if no, how you guys roast at 220?

ElPugDiablo

Do you have a bean thermal probe that is measuring bean's surface temperature? Sounded like your temperature gage is measuring air temperature inside the drum. First crack starts when beans surface temperature is about 205 C, but the air temperature inside the drum could be at 163 C. Temperature at second crack differ from bean to bean but generally speaking it should be at about one minute after first crack is finished. So from the beginning of first crack to the start of second crack it should take about 3 minutes. Your roasting time of 15 - 17 minutes is within the correct range. If you and your customers like your coffee, then you are doing it right.

Have you been to the site below?

http://www.bootcoffee.com/articles.html

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
Thanks, sounds interesting. To tell you the truth I feel doubtful about it anyway! I believe that if the sourse of heating beans is hot air insight the drum, then the air should be hotter then beans?!
By the way I roasted Huehuetenango till the second crack (just a few pops in the second crack) and it seemed at least better. To tell you the truth I had an imagination that this coffee was much better and may be that is the reason why I am so frustrated about it.

Temuri

kavovnik

Nov 23, 2005
Czech Republic
Visit site
Hi!

I am planning to open roasting facility and small shop in Czech Republic. Our company will start operating in January. That is when I will order roaster. Are you happy with Has Garanti?? And should not it have thermo probe?

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
kavovnik said:
Hi!

I am planning to open roasting facility and small shop in Czech Republic. Our company will start operating in January. That is when I will order roaster. Are you happy with Has Garanti?? And should not it have thermo probe?

Ok, not flying in the sky for happyness but it is a good roaster, It is able to make a really good roast.
Thermo probe -- please tell me what is it?

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
Temuri said:
Guys I am new in the fresh roasting shop business. So I am very interested to talk to guys like you about the roasting.
here I have some questions, Please answer if you find time:
1) I read that roasting temperature is 220 C, me I hot machin up to 185 C and drop coffee, first crack occurs at 163-5 C (depending on coffees) and second one begins at 175-6 C. in 15-17 minutes it reaches my very dark roast. Am I doing anything wrong? Or if no, how you guys roast at 220?

I reread it and noticed that I have forgotten to mention that the drop out temperature is 182-188 C (depending on coffees and roast color). i.e. 188 is very dark almost burnt coffee.

kavovnik

Nov 23, 2005
Czech Republic
Visit site
I was referring to your thermometer. One is showing temperature of the beans inside of the drum and the other one is showing temperature of the air in the drum. Which one do you have in your roaster? Or do you have both?

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
I have one that is showing temperature in the drum on Has Garanti and I have both thermometers on Toper. But I doubt that any of them can show the real temperature of beans. It can just show the air temperature and that is all.

Temuri

Nov 12, 2005
Tbilisi Georgia
Visit site
Bean temperature

Please tell me how is measured temperature of the bean. I dont mean the air in the drum, I mean the real temperature of the bean. you guys sounded as if it is an easy and usual thing.
Please respond!

kavovnik

Nov 23, 2005
Czech Republic
Visit site
Greetings!

It is called thermocouple, heat probe or bean probe. It is an electronic thermometer whose sensing end is placed inside the roasting chamber so that it is entirely surrounded by the moving mass of the beans. The air temperature inside roasting chamber is different from the temperature of the beans. The beans tend to insulate the sensor from the air and transmit an approximate reading of their inner, collective heat to a display on the outside of the machine. However it is an approximate inner bean temp. It is more to be outer bean temp, which is closer to the inner then the air temp. But people referring to it as an inner bean temp. It is useful tool in roasting.

ElPugDiablo

Re: Bean temperature

Temuri said:
Please tell me how is measured temperature of the bean. I dont mean the air in the drum, I mean the real temperature of the bean. you guys sounded as if it is an easy and usual thing.
Please respond!

I have an article on the installation of bean probe. I can send it to you if you PM me your e-mail address.