Roasting with Artisan

Grumpa

Mar 30, 2023
USA
Visit site
I am trying to find profiles to run in Artisan to try to follow on a manually operated Sedona Elite 3200. I would like to run them in the background to help learn to control the machine better. I found the site of an importer of coffee with profiles available but they are in a proprietary format so without another company's software they don't work with Artisan.
Also if anyone has any other sources for roasting profiles that can be imported into Artisan it will be appreciated. I am new to this type of roasting as I have been using a HGBM and just eyeballing things for years. TIA!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Roasting profiles are somewhat useless to try and replicate, IMO. Each machine and coffee will roast differently. It's better to pre-determine the milestones and then go at it. For example, when I'm dialing in a new coffee, I want to try and finish dry by 5 minutes, FC at 9:30, finished at 11:30 around 402 drop temp. BUT - that's for my roaster and for a medium-sized load. That doesn't work for a super dense or large load... Just go buy some inexpensive green and start roasting.

Grumpa

Mar 30, 2023
USA
Visit site
Thanks, that's what I am doing at the moment. Just hoping that with an established profile for a particular origin running in the background, it might aid in my learning to control the machine as well as help develop my own roast profiles.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Thanks, that's what I am doing at the moment. Just hoping that with an established profile for a particular origin running in the background, it might aid in my learning to control the machine as well as help develop my own roast profiles.
If you are new to roasting, there are two excellent books to check out - Scott Rao's The Coffee Roaster Companion & Rob Hoo's Modulating Flavor. Scott's book is where to start, and Rob's book is a deep dive into flavor development. Anybody that I teach or mentor on roasting I start with them roasting & cupping, making adjustments re-roasting, and then comparing the two. Good way to start to try telling the difference.